iWeb and multiple sites

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slipper, Sep 15, 2008.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I have iWeb 1.1.2

I have a couple web pages in iWeb but i noticed that everytime i need to re-publish one of the two sites, iWeb automatically publishes both sites. If i make changes to one site, can i re-publish only that one site or do i need to continue to always re-publish both sites?

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

as far as i know, it will only republish the sites with changes...even the slightest change will cause it to update the site (ex: adding a space)

3. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

It seems to republish all sites no matter what. :(

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

5. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

so are you choosing the publish button at the bottom or publish all to mobile me?

6. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

I have an older version of iWeb version 1.1.2

The only options i have is "publish to .Mac", "publish all to .Mac" (i dont have .Mac), and Publish to a folder.

There is also the publish button on the bottom of the screen, but it published to .Mac which i dont have.

I click publish to a folder.

7. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

The iWebsites website is a bit unclear. If i am not mistaken, it separates the different websites from iWeb? Can someone please explain.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Sure- First just a bit of background info on iWeb. When you are setting up sites, as you have found out it stores them all in one "container" (which is actually a file called domain.sites but that is not important for now) and publishes all sites even if you only change one character in one site.

Simply put, iWebsites creates a separate "domain.sites" file for each site you create (or however many sites you want in a particular "domain.sites" file). Now this could be done manually by renaming the domain.sites file and creating a new one for each site, but iWebsites does all the messy renaming automatically-- hence the best way to think of it is as a domain.sites "manager".

A typical scenario would be to first use iWebsites to set up a new empty domain.sites file. When you start up iWeb, there will be no sites listed on the left. So now you create a site (let's say Site A) and quit iWeb.

If you then restart iWeb, it will still show Site A on the left-- BUT if, before starting iWeb again, you run iWebSites you will have the option of changing to another domain.sites file (let's say you have one with Site B) which then would open in iWeb with Site B displayed. So you make some changes in Site B and publish it alone. Then you remember some changes you need to make to Site A, so you quit iWeb and run iWebSites again-- you tell it you want to use your Site A file and off you go. When you open iWeb, only Site A will show and thus Site A will be all that gets published.

There is basically no limit to the number of sites you can manage this way courtesy of iWebSites and I, among a lot of others that use iWeb a lot, think it is a feature that most certainly should be included in the next major version of iWeb!! I use it to manage 6 sites and would lose my mind even quicker were it not for iWebSites since some of the sites are pretty large so publishing them again and again needlessly would be quite a time waster.

Now on one other line, DO try to upgrade your iWeb to Version 2.0.x which comes with iLife 08. The changes in capability over the 1.1.x versions are extensive- and from my point of view are alone worth the $69 or so on Amazon for iLife 08- not to mention you get updates on all the other programs in 08 too!

Well, hope this sheds a little more light on iWebSites- and that I did not just confuse the issue more!:D

9. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper