iWeb and Subdirectories

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by IJ Reilly, Apr 10, 2009.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to use iWeb to develop a web site that requires subdirectories. As nearly as I can tell, iWeb creates a flat file system for its html pages. The organization I'd like to use is:

Home
    Projects​
    projectname1​
    projectname2​
    projectname3​

(etc)

This is important to me because I'd like to link the projectname pages only to the Projects page, and not to Home or any other second-level directory I might choose to create. Is this possible in iWeb?

Thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that iWeb isn't for you. It doesn't offer any control over the file organization, so no, you won't be able to do that.

Perhaps a look at RapidWeaver would be worthwhile, though I don't know if it does that either.

jW

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I could simulate file organization if I could control which pages were linked from other pages, but I can't find a way of doing that either. I noticed this deficiency in iWeb 1.0 but had not spent any time using the application again until 3.0.

No work-arounds?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The level of effort it would take to do the work-around would be better spent doing the web site in a different web app. Maybe iWeb 3 will make real improvements.

5. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

If you deselect "Include page in navigation menu" for projectname1, projectname2 etc, and insert manual links to those pages on the Projects page, is that close enough? Or are you really after a nested menu?

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd just discovered this work-around myself. It could work, I suppose. Requires a bit of rethinking about how I'd normally construct the site, but the result would be essentially the same as having real subdirectories.