iWeb and windows...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by shawsinio, Aug 16, 2007.

1. shawsinio macrumors regular

Hi all,

I am a total novice when it comes to building websites. I have just created a website for my university rugby club using iWeb. However, when i leave university, and therefore the club, someone else will take over the updating of the site etc. This person will most likely be using a windows computer. Is it possible for them, if i give them the files, to edit the website on a windows machine, and a windows web design program, will it be compatible? I really am a complete newb when it comes to this!

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Shawsinio

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's not really any easy ay to do this. As far as I know, other apps don't recognise the Domain file iWeb creates. I'm not sure if there are any apps that could import a published site either. Hopefully I'm wrong... :eek:

3. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Your only option is to export the site by using the File>Publish to a folder option. The published content could then be opened in any text editor or WYSIWYG application, i.e. Dreamweaver. BUT, I should warn you that although iWeb compiles valid xhtml and css it does so by placing everything into a div, which could be a bit of a headache to work on.

So, simple answer, yes but not without some frustration.

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I'm sure someone will want to change the website design once you leave anyways. If they don't then tell them to get a Mac :D I'm sure someone will have a Mac or have access to one.

Nuc

5. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

my advise.

Ditch iweb, learn HTML and CSS (it will be usefull anyway, and its not hard at all), create your site inside a Content management system, and they will be able to update the text from any browser.

if you ask me that would not be hard, and would be the best option.

6. shawsinio thread starter macrumors regular

O.K. guys, thanks alot for the replies. Just one more bit of advice, whats the easiest/best way to go about learning html and css, and how long does it take before you can build a half decent website using what you know?

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

This is a good place to start: htmldog.com.

My advice would be to continue using iWeb for now because it works and is easy. You might even find that iWeb is the best solution for your needs. Learning (x)html and css is not that diffictult but once you combine that with cross browser support you might be looking at a semester or so before you are fully confident to take on an original deisgn... which brings you to the next aspect of the learning curve, designing for the web.

8. shawsinio thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks zim, think i will try and slowly work my way through, and with any luck will learn html well enough to try and build a few sites! Thanks for all the replies!

9. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Bah ditch HTML learning. i've done that... it's way to addictive, you'll move to CSS then to Javascript, then to Ajax, then to PHP
    People will start to look at you in a funny way. And as time goes by you'll be so involved in hacking your little website that you'll slowly become all alone. Nobody's gonna understand you anymore and you're going to open each conversation with a <div> and wonder why there is no css propoerties to manage the tone of your voice and in the end you'll realize that you just lost 4 years of your life for a website that could simply have been coded in iWeb...

Naaaaawww trust me. Don't step in there, it's too addictive. I did a cure (meaning: I found a gf) and now i'm back to the bases with iWeb.

10. zim macrumors 65816

zim

:D love your post! I also agree. Learning web standards can be very time consuming which leads to a possible addiction and isolation. I teach a class in web standards. I also design and develop web standard projects for clients. So when it comes time to my own stuff I would rather be working on my own art or spending time with my wife and pup :) so that is why I use iWeb, it gives me back me time... my only complaint is the lack of a well formed semantic structure within iWeb's publishing but I have gotten over that.

Alternatives to iWeb that might also be helpful and allow for greater ease of updating without the parent application: sandvox, rapidweaver but these are also both mac based.

11. shawsinio thread starter macrumors regular

<text> haha, thanks GuillaumeB but im afraid the warning may have come a little too late, its taking over my life...no im ok really... </text>

12. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

oh well i' will have warned you. So far going back to the bases is quite good.

OK I do have to tell the truth... I still code my professional website. I use iWeb for the weblog (which is the one I use the most...)

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why? The job here is to create a website that's maintainable after shawsinio leaves, which can't be done in iWeb, the only way to do that is by learning HTML/CSS, you don't need to go any further than that for making a simple website.

I learnt CSS this week as I wanted to stop using iWeb, as it creates a better impression, but I do programming in Cocoa as well. I used:

http://www.html.net/tutorials/css/introduction.asp for CSS
    and they also have http://www.html.net/tutorials/html/introduction.asp for HTML.

14. shawsinio thread starter macrumors regular

Thats awesome, thanks Eraserhead am gunna have a look at that now.

15. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

@OP:

Just do it in iWeb and screw 'em if they don't use iWeb in the future? *snicker* I do a website for a university group and I have a lot of complicated perl stuff going on that I know nobody will be able to figure out in the future, and I just think that's funny.

I'm a horrible, horrible person, though.