iWeb annoying but serious problem

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Soulstorm, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I am using iWeb for designing a site. My site will have two versions, one for english and one for greek. The english version goes fine, but the greek version has a problem.

The links on the top are in greek. So, the file names created in the site are also using greek characters!

Will linking to files with greek characters cause problems with some servers?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Potentially, but the number it bothers should decrease over time. Browsers and servers for the most part have been transitioning to using the UTF-8 character encoding, which supports foreign characters much better than the others (I believe iWeb defaults to UTF-8). The only issue would be someone not using a Greek keyboard who's trying to manually type in the characters, but clicking on links should not be an issue. So for the most part, I wouldn't worry about it. This is based on articles I've read on the subject as I work in Japanese some times so wondered the same thing and did some reading on it.

3. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

So if my server does not support greek characters, how can I fix that in iWeb?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Check out this page as it has a lot of information. The fix partly depends on the setup. For instance, there's a fix using .htaccess file, but that only applies to web servers running the Apache web server. Generally speaking though, if the file declares the character encoding to be utf-8, the server follows suite and won't get in the way.

I checked in iWeb and it seems to use UTF-8 so you shouldn't need to change anything there. Has anyone had any problems with the links, or are you just trying to head off a potential issue?

5. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I am not talking about the file contents, but about the file names themselves. Even with that fix, you can still have a problem.

Ι am just trying to avoid a potential issue. And I did it, after spending many hours looking at Apple's Javascript code!

Inside each published site, there is a feed named "feed.xml". This is actually the feed that gives the site the links and their names in your site. By altering that file, I can point the main menu links of the site to whatever I want, without having to alter each page in my site individually. So I can create all pages with english names, and then just change their display names from feed.xml. No harm done.

Great stuff, Apple, but I wish they put it into iWeb. A non-programmer might not have thought of this.

6. Mitou macrumors regular

This page will also help you if your server does not appreciate your greek characters.
    You may want to explore Tom's site as he is the expert on ilife iwork foreign languages expert.