iweb....boring....need something similar

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Chef55, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Chef55 macrumors member

I built my website using iweb a couple of months ago. I think for someone like me totally not literate in computers it's a good idea if a bit unimaginative ie not enough themes or features.
    Does anyone know of a programme I can buy that would work along the lines of iweb but is more feature packed? Something a bit point and click and not too technical. I had a look at the mrsite options but was not impressed. Thanks.

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

3. Mitou macrumors regular

Iweb is only limiting if you let it. Start from a blank page and make your own design. Rapidweaver or any other software that has templates will allow you to do the same thing that is modify the template but you still have to do it if you don't want it to look like a template
    iWeb is easier than any software including rapidweaver.
    check this site http://1macmaven.com it is done with iweb and has no hint of an iweb template.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I love iWeb .... It's perfect for me ...... Simple :eek:

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

The OP asked for something "more feature packed" hence the suggestions so far. This is not to say iWeb doesn't have its audience and that its features are not easy/useful, of course. But aside from templates in Rapidweaver you also get maturity - meaning the entire source is always at hand for editing. Plus themes can be changed within the site, and its easier to add sub-menus and a breacrumb navigation. The output code is clean and uncluttered and will validate via WYSIWYG or drag/drop modes. If you wish to get into server side coding, it works well with PHP which is a huge benefit if you find you want to start developing your own code. Having this choice is not just a feature, but a huge benefit.

Just a few of the cool stuff compared to iWeb that might be useful to the OP. If not, iWeb is a great product and be happy using it if it fits your current needs, even if a little "boring" as you put it.

-jim

6. Mitou macrumors regular

While I agree with you on most of what you say, I will also point out that the op said he/she was computer illiterate. I have used both iweb and rapidweaver and for someone who knows little about a computer (probably much less about coding) iweb has to be easier.

Suggestion to the OP download a trial version and see it for yourself. There is also Freeway Express that might appeal to you.

7. boazjoe macrumors member

While on the subject of iWeb, is it possible to manage multiple web sites from the same computer using iWeb? I may be helping with a site that is already in use and was hoping to download the site and use a) iWeb (which I have and have used some) or b) Rapid Weaver (which I could get and learn) to manage it in addition to my own personal page. If it matters, I have used DW in the past but no longer have access to this.

What are other's recommendations on how to approach this?

8. Mitou macrumors regular

yes you can manage as many sites as you want. There are several methods to do it but I don't think you should rely on software, it is really pretty simple to do manually. You will find great explanations here

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

When you are making your decision keep in mind that you cannot import a downloaded site into iWeb as you mentioned you want to do. While you can certainly manage multiple sites from within iWeb as Mitou mentioned, you have to build them within iWeb to start with.

10. boazjoe macrumors member

Thanks. I did not know I could not import it.

Can I do so with Rapid Weaver? I might just restart in iWeb, but of what you say and because it is for a church it might be better to do it in RW so that when someone else takes it over, it is more portable. Does that sound right?

Joe

11. Chef55 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all suggestions. I have downloaded Rapidweaver and done a three page website and what an improvement. I think I am going to purchase it and will learn as I go along because the 3 page one I did on the demo is far better than the iweb one I did.
    It is more the terminology I don't understand but that's down to my age as I don't tend to remember things so everything will take me a lot longer but if I get the result I'm after that isn't a problem. :)

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's not nice to hijack other people's thread. If you want further help on your topic, create a new thread please.

13. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I'm glad you mentioned that, this is an interesting discussion point. The way you phrased your second sentence, nobody could possibly disagree with you - it's a given. But I feel the OP, as inexperienced as they might think of themselves, are feeling the waters to explore new alternatives. That's my take on their situation, and as you noted in your last two sentence, I suggest the same (trial versions). If one never challenges themselves and doesn't explore other opportunities, they find in the long run it IS boring just as the OP hinted at, plus productivity drops. Then again, they might find all the features as nothing more than unnecessary bells and whistles beyond their needs and learning curve. We all understand that and so does the OP.

I applaud the OP for being brave to ask, and to possibly try new things, even if it doesn't work out. That is why your second sentence, although true, is not what this topic is about in my opinion. So I'm saying let's not constrain their enthusiasm and being challenged means exploring some things that might not be in their "comfort zone", it's part of the discovery process.

-jim