iWeb - downloadable video / audio files

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by c073186, Feb 19, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Using iWeb, how can I insert a hyperlink so a visitor can download a video or audio file? When I choose "File" under the hyperlink settings and click it on the published site, it just takes the user to a blank page where it plays in Quicktime in the browser. I want it to actually download on to the user's computer. How is this accomplished?

Thanks.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well it partly depends on the browser the person is using and the server hosting the files. If a browser has a plug-in to play a file it generally will. So unless a person right clicks on the link and chooses to save, the browser will decide what to do.

Alternatively the web server can be configured to handle certain file types in a way that forces them to be downloaded. I've only read about it though so can't tell you how to do that and messing with server configurations may be out of your league or control.

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I basically know nothing of web design which is why I am sticking completely with iWeb and .Mac. But thanks anyways.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Here's an example that uses PHP, but don't believe iWeb can make use of it unfortunately. This is all I could find quickly. So it doesn't seem to leave you with a real option.

5. Giovannino macrumors member