iWeb erased Desktop, serious bug, help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xUKHCx, Jun 24, 2007.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I was publishing a site to a folder, the Desktop, from iWeb and it has deleted everything from my desktop. There were quite a few items on my desktop at the time so I'm quite worried.

The site was accidentally called "." without quotes, iWeb produced an error, see attachments, but now it appears iWeb has deleted my users Desktop. Any chance it has moved it somewhere (vague hope, i know full well it is all gone)

Pretty lethal bug, lost an afternoons work straight off. Anyone know how to submit it to apple, needs fixing.

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hopefully your stuff is just hidden. You can see your hidden files by typing the following in Terminal:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To hide them again, type in the same code but replace TRUE with FALSE. :)

3. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That was the first thing I checked, it is a bug, have tested it out many times. It completely erases which ever folder it is being published to. I found where to submit the bug to apple and have done that. Luckily I found an almost up to date version of the work that i had uploaded to a website, so only lost about an hours worth of work rather than a whole afternoon.

4. cornerdealy macrumors regular

that really sucks...

If only you had time machine!!!

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Exactly what i was thinking when it happened

Yeah is a very serious bug, god only knows what would've happened if i published to my Home folder or the root:eek: .

7. Diddly Boo macrumors newbie

3 years later and still a little buggy

Ok, here's the deal....

If you happen to save your iWeb session to your DESKTOP then this is really bad. DO NOT SAVE YOUR IWEB SESSION TO YOUR DESKTOP. If you make changes to that iWeb session and then save and publish it, then it will overwrite your entire desktop folder. YIKES.

If you save your iWeb session to a folder on your desktop and also put OTHER files into that folder, then when you save and publish changes in your session it will overwrite EVERYTHING in that folder. Meaning it will wipe out those OTHER files in that folder.

The nature of web design is that it has to keep every file within the folder coordinated and located correctly, so I see why it is defaulting to this. But of course, if you aren't expecting it (and I wasn't when it wiped out my folder!) then uh-oh.

SO -- be extremely careful when publishing iWeb files. Be sure you do not want to save ANYTHING that is in the folder to which you are publishing. If you are saving to FTP this can also be an issue -- don't save to your root directory!

Apple made iWeb for the amateur web designer, so they REALLY should include ample warning panels and defaults to keep people from doing this. The way it is now, it's quite tricky and easy to wipe stuff out. :eek: