iWeb has been killed?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jonnysods, Oct 20, 2010.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Am I right? It's gone from the iLife 11 section on the apple site...

Yowsers. I was hoping that they would keep it and improve it.

2. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Ah, there it is. It was on the iLife page, down the bottom very small next to iDVD and underneath the Big Three.

3. hardliner macrumors member

hardliner

What an embarrasing Event. It was just a huge commercial for Apple Services (Print / iPhoto) and Mac AppStore. Just like the Apple TV. Rent and buy!

What happened to iWeb. I thought it's a new version.

The whole crap with Garage Band, etc. No emotions or apllause at the crowd.

Fail!

4. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

why do people use iweb in the first place? it's an atrocious piece of software. you can get much better results if you were to learn some xhtml/css and basics of installing scripts/software packages such as wp/drupal/joomla/shopping carts.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

The people who use iWeb don't want to bother learning xhtml/css, and scripting... it's really as simple as that, they want a nice clean functioning web page that is drag and drop to assemble. That's what iWeb does and that's why the average consumer with not a lot of 'learning' time on their hands likes it.

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

As a professional developer, thank [insert deity here] for iWeb. People get frustrated using it, often end up coming to people like me where I can get it done right and make a living too, knowing I'm helping trouble souls out there. And those who don't come to me, the jobs are so small I'd not want that business anyway. But in time, as is usually the case, the client realizes they need more as their business, or needs, expand. Then they come to me and know what they want, saving me time teaching them the basics.

Yes, this is a glass is half full generic view of the world, but you get my point. No need for comments from folks talking about the dark side of iWeb and client expectations, etc. I know! Just trying to keep it light today!

-jim

7. buckers macrumors 6502

A little disappointed

When iWeb wasn't mentioned in the keynote, I just presumed there were changes and he didn't have time to mention them. A bit surprised and disappointed that they're just carrying iWeb 09 on unchanged. I really love that app; still, it could be worse.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Um, the audience were journalists.

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I had actually wished it really did go away. I'm just glad a number of iWeb threads around here end up in the Applications forum rather than here, though of course a number do make it here. I've helped a few people with it, but I sigh and my eye twitches whenever I see an iWeb thread around here.

10. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

I love comments like this.

That's analogous to me, as a Math teacher, saying I really wish people who want to know how much area of land they own would just go learn Integral Calculus and then apply it.

11. buckers macrumors 6502

As I understood it, iWeb was a way of bringing the ability to make a website really quickly and easily to all Apple users. It is a little buggy at times, yes, but isn't that all the more reason to update it?

They could've really gone to town with this with new features and a slicker interface, but I'm guessing they don't see a future for it, at least not right now (or more like, they have other more pressing concerns).

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

FAIL. Do you not realize basically any corporate event the end goal is to sell you something?

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think they added two more themes, wish they let us made our own. I'm a web designer, but I enjoy using iWeb to make simple sites in iWeb for a hobby. It's better than coding for 5 hours.

14. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

i too like iweb. I haven't used 09, but mainly because I know it won't really offer me more. I do simple sites and don't like all the hassle. WYSIWYG is iWeb. all the others really...aren't. It's easy for me to create things in PS or Illustrator and then slap them over in iWeb and voila!

15. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Inside a little piece of me died when I heard they hadn't killed off iWeb...

Seriously for the basic users Rapidweaver is far better IMHO..

16. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

My wife just discovered that you can no longer select multiple photos in iPhoto '11, for exporting into iWeb. That does not bode well for the future.

17. trjwv macrumors regular

Does anyone know if any theme in iWeb is capable of a password protected page setup for client proofing?

18. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That won't be theme related, or even iWeb related really. You should make use of the web server technologies available. For Apache web server, you'll use a .htaccess file for password protecting (Google for tutorials). Some web hosts also offer an easier interface for doing this so check with them.

19. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

I checked out the version, it says it's 3.02. I don't know what 09 was, perhaps they just patched it. Looks the same, no new themes or anything like that. The same with iDVD.

I use iWeb (to my embarrassment I made my first three websites with it), so now I'm stuck with it. So I was hoping they could put a little flair into it, or get more robust code inside the thing.

Same with iDVD. They didn't do anything to it.

Someone mentioned Rapidweaver. That was the next piece of softare I used to make stuff, then I jumped over to WordPress. Never looked back.

And for the haters that like to handcode stuff - don't bust other people's chops because they don't know how to handcode sites. There is plenty of business to go around for everyone. When there are no more websites to be made in the whole world then pick on people for being hacks. If they really are a hack they are going to make you money in the end anyways.

20. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

There is nothing professional about iWeb at all. Try using something else, like RapidWeaver, for example. It has a slightly steeper learning curve, but you can't compare the two. iWeb is for people who don't know anything about web design and don't even want to know about it.