iWeb - help and share tips - (Everyone with iWeb please read)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by -Josh-, Nov 11, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

So, I've been using iWeb for the first time ever, and it's fantastic. I love it. However, I'm having problems.
    I took a template from Apples selection (Is this recommended?) A travel one. Then, i erased all the text and images and what not and replaced it with my images and text. but i feel like it's still too much like the original. - How do you make your website unique?
    I'm new to anything website, I don't know any codes, so please bare with me. (like for instance, on my travel template I notice I can move around the images on the back my webpage. Like those little icons, that add flavor behind your website. How can I remove them and replace them with my own?)

Any advise, or tips, on how to make your website unigue (Again, should I have chosen a template?) is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you!

Josh

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

There are a lot of neat tools in the iWeb to make your site unique.

Take a look at the "Inspector" and format your site differently yet still maintaining the template. Just play with the inspector options.

Also you can add your own boxes and mask them changing them slightly using the inspector as well.

I'm still new to it and I'm actually one of those people who prefer to code my own page but I really REALLY like the iWeb interface.

Inspector can change many aspects of the page your editing. Width, background color/image, image styles, etc. I just opened it up and totally messed up a template just so I can play with all the settings.

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

My Site

I just made a blank page and started getting creative. See how different the old site is...

4. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys.
    Thanks for the replies - keep them coming.
    In the template I choose, the blog section has an entry and a photo to the left of it. I swopped photos and edited the entry
    I then added an entry beneath that one, but I cant figure out how to wrap the text. I refered to the help section to try and figure out how to float an image (not fixed) but its all so confusing.

thanks again,

josh

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

To float the picture so the text wraps around the image you have to "cut" or "copy" (then delete the original) the image and then select the text area, double click in it, place the cursor at the position of the text you want the image, then paste the image inside. The text in the text area will then wrap around the image. Using the inspector you have I think 2 options on where to float the image (to the left or right of the text) I just figured out how to do this last night.

There really are a ton of possibilities to play with. Even with the predesigned templates you can really create one that's unique while still using the basics. Plus playing with the templates like this you really get to learn your way around iWeb.

Feel free to PM me as I am learning this too. I'm a professional web programmer and designer and I normally do things the hard way and love it. Yet I find myself immersed in the iWeb tool and love every minute I spend in it.

6. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply.
    That sounds pretty confusing - I'll give it a try a little later. Thanks again! and I appreciate the PM invite. Don't be too shocked to hear from me!

Josh

7. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

When you say cut or copy, you mean copy and paste the image, right?

8. mathewr macrumors 6502

song

when u add a song to ur page how do u get it to play when the page opens