Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zangoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
United Kingdom
Hello, I using iweb for the first time and published the site to folder and then uploaded it to my website via FTP. Well anyway, I want to edit one of the pages i do so, go to save then re-upload that page. But, It doesn't work. Does this mean every time i want to edit one of the pages and not the whole website, i have to keep re-publishing all the files to the folder and upload them again? There must be a simpler way just to replace one page with the updates on.

Thanks!

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
No, there is not a simpler way. Iweb was of course designed with .mac publishing in mind and some of its functions only work on .mac. Similarly the publish function is different if publishing to .mac or a to a folder. If publishing to .mac you only republish the changes that you made but, to a folder you must publish the whole site. That can take some time if your site is huge.

iLifer

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Hampshire, UK
There is a way...

This can be done, although its not as straight forward as it could be. Having authored your website, this assumes you know the file structure of the site itself. Once you've 'published to folder', rather than transfer the whole site via FTP, just upload the relevant html page(s) and associated asset folder(s) that you've updated.

Ofcourse this requires that no changes have been made to the strucutre of the site, and that pre-existing pages have simply been updated (otherwise the navigation bar may not function correctly).

This is the process that I use and proves to be a good time saving method.

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I think we are mixing apples and oranges in our answers. There is a difference between publishing and uploading the published pages to the server.
Effectively when the site is published to a folder then individual pages can be uploaded and a good ftp software like transmit should help in choosing which files to upload. But the publishing to the folder part cannot be done piece meal. you can only publish the whole site to a folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.