Iweb hosting, linux or windows server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TriXTroll, Jul 10, 2008.

1. TriXTroll macrumors newbie

Looking into third party hosting for an iweb page. It's for a small business, so .mac may not cut it. Also, there is the possibility that I will redo the page using dreamweaver.

I have been looking into godaddy and have to choose between the windows server or a linux server. Can't see the reason to go windows.

Any advice.

2. passingXstorm macrumors regular

you could also look at hostmonster.com, they have unlimited everything for $7 a month.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Go with Linux. The only reason to go with a Windows server is if you need ASP .NET. Which, if you use iWeb, you don't.

4. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Linux all the way dude :) cheaper and a more robust language (PHP) and database Backend (MYSQL). Did I mention the cheaper part? :p

5. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

While I also recommend Linux, I disagree with these statements.

1. Linux and Window hosting is generally the same price. At least it is at the hosting companies I deal (1&1 and GoDaddy).

2. PHP is defiantly not more robust than C# or VB. But this doesn't matter anyway, since iWeb does not take advantage of either.

3. MySQL sucks. I'm not saying MS SQL (T-SQL) is any better, but MySQL sucks. But again, this doesn't matter since iWeb doesn't use it.

If you are just hosting a web page, you won't notice any difference with Linux hosting or MS hosting. I recommend Linux for the sole fact that it's a more secure OS.

7. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

That is actually the first time I've heard MySQL sucks. I disagree with the statement entirely. Just look at it this way, macrumors is most likely Linux hosted. And w/ linux hosting you may also get the option to run Postgresql Server aswell.

I love my PHP and MySQL, without it I'd have no income :eek:

8. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

mysql doesn't suck for being completely free, it rules other wise go spend like $100 on oracle's database

9. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Yes, oracle was there before MSSQL Server and MySQL server. Oracle is god.

But for now, MySQL. :D

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I guess it's ok for a hobbiest. I am a software developer and write programs that use Oracle as backends, and it is the best. But I have to integrate with MS SQL, MySQL, Access, Excel and other crappy formats where people have data stored. Excel and MySQL are the absolute worst. I'd take Access over MySQL any day.

11. Lordillingworth macrumors regular

Hello there, i am just about to go with godaddy's hosting service... but how on earth do i get the iweb site from the published folder onto their servers?!:confused:

12. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

You missed Postgresql :(