iWeb hosting solution

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LucasLand, Nov 5, 2013.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

I decided to use iweb once again, but since apple doesnt host sites I needed to find something else. I already owned my own domain with godaddy. I logged on to godaddy to check on my domain. I never noticed it before but my domain already gets free web hosting! i couldnt believe it. Its just their economy web hosting but its enough for a small website. If you own a domain with them check your account and you should see a link about your free hosting. I mad e a quick little social media web portal for myself with iweb and just now put it on godaddy. its a shame apple isnt supporting this. I'm going to look into starting a petition for apple to support it again. I also have no problem with iweb under mavericks here is my web portal http://www.lucasland.com

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Got to admire you for trying to fight the battle, but in the end I think you will lose the war. Apple gave up on iWeb a long time ago. It is obvious they no longer have interest.

Plus there are so many other software options out there now for building a site. And just as easy to use as iWeb but with far more options. I never used iWeb personally. I have seen some pretty nice sites though that were built with iWeb.

I already have enough of my "apples" in one basket so to speak, with all my hardware being Apple. Should spread the wealth around so developers continue to make good software.

3. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

you said you've never used iWeb. That is a mistake. the reason why it is still being used is because its so simple and fun to use. Even though its already been like 2-3 years since they bailed on it, no other company has matched what apple had.

Apple still has a discussion page devoted to it in their communities section on their support page. take a look at the discussions on there and you see many people are still using it.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Never said people were not using it. I know a lot of people who use it. It is going the way of the dino though. Apple is not going to support it. Somewhere down the road it is not going to work. There will eventually be a new OS X that will not allow it to work.

I do not use it as my web building requires a little more than the simple & fun iWeb will do. I use Dreamweaver & Coda 2. I know people will not like what I use, but at least it is still supported.

As I already stated, I'll give you credit for trying, but I see it as a lose, lose situation. I just do not see Apple revisiting it again. Been known to be wrong though.

5. Raima macrumors 6502

I like iWeb myself, but it's seriously outdated and functionality is limited. You may want to consider using WordPress at a later stage once you feel iWeb becomes too cumbersome to manage. Until then, keep enjoying to use it.

6. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

ever web looks cool. actually it looks like a clone of iWeb, but its $80! I may also look into sandvox

7. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

You should call it "Electric Lucas Land". Personally I really liked iWeb and was sad to see it go. I drifted around for a while trying different web design programs before finally settling on Freeway Express. It certainly has a much steeper learning curve over iWeb, but then it is a far more capable program.

8. qua macrumors member

Switched from iWeb to EverWeb

It is early in development, but they seem serious. The switch is easy because almost exactly like iWeb, with extras. Help is good too. I run four sites, my own pretty large. I work more smoothly and quicker in EverWeb in spite of the fact I have to publish to a folder and use Transmit to sync on my server while I await their giving one button sync to everyone. Definitely worth checking out.

9. ratsg macrumors 6502

can you share a URL to the iWeb forum(s) you are following?

10. ratsg macrumors 6502

There are many iWeb add-ons from 3rd partys that extend the capability of iWeb.

Did you have a chance to try/use any iWeb extenders? Or are you using just the vanilla iWeb software as shipped from Apple?