iWeb: how to link to a video file that doesn't auto-download?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by matthewHUB, Mar 3, 2008.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Hi guys...

i already posted in the Mac Applications thread but nobody answered.

I have audio and video content on my website. mp3s and m4vs (exported for web through quicktime.) The audio streams on a new page.... but the video starts auto-downloading. how do i make it stream through the web-browser via quicktime?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It has to do mostly with how the MIME types are defined on the server. If the browser finds a MIME type for an extension and links to a program that there is no plugin installed, it auto downloads.

Your other option is to embed the videos into another page, that way they are part of the page, not a seperate file.

TEG

3. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks. so for the browser to play the quicktime movies without having to embed them specifically in the page, what extension shall i use? .mov?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your extension doesn't matter, although .mov would make it easier. It is the mime types on the WebServer. When I used to serve AAC (.m4a) files, I had to create a new MIME type for it, otherwise, they were forced to download, and would be appended with .txt.

TEG

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if you know this, so it might be unnecessary for me to mention, but if you get a decent amount of traffic on your site, streaming audio and video will kill your bandwidth.