iWeb - how to make your site simply www.example.com?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by AdventurousJosh, Dec 29, 2010.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

2. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I too have this problem, a solution would be great. Please reply if you know if there is a solution or not. Thanks.

3. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I've been using RapidWeaver for about a year now, so I can't remember exactly how to do this on iWeb, but you could try exporting your website to a folder on your computer. Then upload the files directly to your "public_html" directory. In which case your homepage would be www.example.com/pagename.html.

If you're using MobileMe, I don't think you are able to control where your files are uploaded.

You could also fool around with your domain settings; I remember being able to set it so when you went to my website and starting clicking links to different pages on my site, it would still show www.example.com, instead of www.example.com/path/page.html.

4. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah I'm using mobile me. can anyone confirm this?

and about making your site always say www.example.com instead of the path/page.html stuff. I did that too once a loooong time ago, but dont remember how I did it.

anyone else?

5. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I think it's called a URL Frame. It's a record type, like CNAME and all that. Not sure which registrar you use, but for me (I use NameCheap) I go to my Account > Manage Domains > www.example.com > All Host Records > then change the record type to URL Frame. That should do it.

6. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Actually your domain problem. Although I prefer my site setup like that with all the endings as i can upload multiple sites to iweb and just change the "sitename" in the url to what i want

(working on a web series with fake sites so instead of doing it locally i can literally host it on my personal site but don't tell anyone what it's called).

In the domain service settings when you give it the web.me.com/blahblah just add the extra /sitename then when you login it should just be www.sitename.com/home.html. You want the home.html bit because if someone copies and pastes a link to someone if theres something worthwhile on the site if theres no home.html or like /about.html the person has to type up instead: Go to home, go to tech page, click on the 5th post.

7. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish i used NameCheap.
    I'm using GODADDY!!! !!! lol.. its horrible. but its all I was familiar with.

8. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

NameCheap is pretty sweet. If it weren't for GoDaddy not accepting PayPal (when I was looking for a domain registrar) I wouldn't have found NameCheap. I really enjoy it.

The problem with URL Frame is, as GeekOFComedy mentioned, you wont be able to copy and paste links to specific pages (unless, of course, you know the actual path to that page).

9. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay so you're saying when on the CNAME edit, I should put web.me.com/example ?

thanks lots man

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Google CNAME and "naked domains" - you'll find all you need.

11. NumeroTen macrumors member

NumeroTen

Semi-Solution

I tired to solve this problem by changing it a bit. I realized also, that having all those "/" and words were a problem, but i also still wanted the linkage liek they stated above. So my iweb page turned out like this
    http://numeroten.com/_.html

To get rid of the "home word is simple" the URL is built of what you named the page on iweb. On the left column on iweb it shows you the names of your pages simple click on the name and change the words to a "." so the word disappears in your url making it at least a little more appealing!:apple:

12. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

did you try GeekOFComedy's solution?? (above)