iWeb: How to publish single sites

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akishimo, Oct 1, 2007.

1. akishimo macrumors newbie

akishimo

Hi all

I am working on a few sites on my iWeb. I don't have a .mac account so I publish them to a folder and upload to my sites through ftp.

My problem is, everytime i click "publish to folder", it publishes ALL my sites and folders, instead of only the ONE i am working on.

Is there anyway I can publish only ONE site at a time??

2. saxman macrumors 6502

I don't think there is a way in iWeb 06 or 08 that allows you to publish only one site - or one page for that matter. It is all or nothing in my experience

3. akishimo thread starter macrumors newbie

akishimo

4. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Just don't upload all the pages generated by iWeb, upload only the ones that you need and/or have been changed

5. akishimo thread starter macrumors newbie

akishimo

How do I do that? Maybe that's possible only when you publish to .mac account? Cos when I click publish to folder it goes straight to me choosing the folder, it doesn't give any options of which page to publish. THere's no such option when i right click the individual pages either.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

7. vincentf macrumors newbie

not his point

zakatov, akishimo is referring to the process of saving to the folder, not the process of uploading to a website. I'm sure he realizes that he doesn't have to upload all the sites. The point is that the export to a folder can take forever if you have a lot of sites or if those sites are large. Your suggestion doesn't help with that.

8. Carole Hayes macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem!

Does anyone have any way around this? It's kind of a pain to have to publish EVERYthing when I'm updating one page....

9. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I actually had this problem, but I found out how to work around it. There is a "domain" file saved in an iweb folder (this domain file contains every site you have in iweb).
    1) Create Site 1
    2) Move the domain file to the desktop (rename it if you want)
    3) Open iweb
    4) iWeb will ask you about a domain file. Just say create a new domain.
    5) Create Site 2
    6) Rename and move site 2 domain file to the desktop.
    7) Instead of clicking the iweb icon to open iweb, click on the domain file that corresponds to the website you want to work with.

Sorry, but I don't remember where this domain file is located. Maybe someone else knows.

NOTE: Make sure you make backups of these domain files as often as possible. They hold everything pertaining to your site. If it gets messed up or lost, EVERYTHING is gone.

10. Carole Hayes macrumors newbie

Okay, that sounds similar to something that somebody else said -- but for whatever reason, your instructions made more sense to me -- I think I can actually do that!

Thanks!! : )

11. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I'm glad I was able to help. I looked over my directions and I don't think I would understand what I wrote.

12. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

I've got the same problem and I used callmemike20's advice. The file you need is located at Home > Library > Application Support > iWeb > "Domain".
    Only problem for me is that i've already got three sites that I delete and start over with. :(
    Anyway, hope this helps

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd recommend using rapidweaver for wanting to do what the OP posted. RW gives you more flexibility, more themes, more options in creating web pages, but yet retains much of the ease of use that iWeb has.

They offer a trial version, and I recommend checking them out, they also have a vibrant and helpful forum there as well, incase you get stuck or have questions.