Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
This is frustrating.
No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to make an original iWeb looking site. I'm just not creative enough I suppose. I'm good at filling pictures and writing good text on already made layouts, but damn, I can't find out how or figure ideas on making an original site. I can't even figure out how to change my background color.

So I ask you all this:
Do any of you use the layouts? I feel like an idiot but it's easier and it gets the job done well.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I normally use the plain white layouts and fill in the rest with photos, see my website below. I'm not terribly creative. But I think this is the point of iWeb, it's not meant to be an advanced app for straying too far from a template.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
It goes the same way with every skill or hobby.

Everyone sucks at first and gets better over time. Keep at it. It's the only way to get better.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
iWeb lets you express Apple's creativity, not so much your own. It's rather limited when it comes to customizing. If you really want to try to be creative I suggest looking at other web design solutions, possibly RapidWeaver. The best way to get ideas is to simply surf it up and see what you like and what inspires you. I'm not saying copy other sites, but they can certainly give you ideas for your own site.

[Disclaimer: I've been growingly hating iWeb due to its shortcomings and having people come here expecting to create awesome sites. So my opinions often try to get people away from iWeb. That said I have nothing against iWeb users, just the software.]

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Angelwatt, have no shame in feeling that way about iWeb.

Here's my .02 on creativity...

It's inspired by examining, in detail, the work of others first. That's what must happen before one can implement an original design. Use this time as a novice to explore different templates, and then go under the hood - examine the code and see how they work. Use what you learn in your own designs, but start to change things including size, color, positioning and spacing.

The next step is learn how to work with image editing software, and in particular, slices. This is the magic behind most graphically enhanced sites (which users who don't know how it was done consider more artistic and instantly likable, memorable). Even if you simply scan photos from a magazine or edit someone else's images, if you can slice and integrate HTML into your photos - you're halfway home.

The final step is using a good IDE which seamlessly integrates the CSS, your HTML and your graphics along with any other external objects such as movies, Flash, newsfeeds, galleries and so on.

From perspiration comes inspiration, and remember - it's OK to steal that which is public domain. Even the best developers use Google image search, open source templates, code snippets from a billion support forums and sites, and so on.

One more thing - don't be too original, the World Wide Web consortium has recommended guidelines that deal with navigation, layout and design to ensure that the user, while they might be impressed with the fancy design, can also get from point A to point B with minimal hassle. So remember that most templates all share commonalities in design to enhance usability.

LESS IS MORE.

-jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.