iWeb / iDVD Dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markfc, Jan 7, 2009.

1. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Did they get updated with 09?

I'm guessing this is the last iLife we will see them in.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

iWeb has been updated but iDVD hasn't changed since iLife '06.

I don't think they will drop iWeb, especially as it integrates with MobileMe.

3. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

They've given it new themes, but no major new features.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

And how do you come to that particular conclusion? What would replace them? How would reducing the app set increase the overall value?

Every app in the suite was updated, some more than others. iMovie & iPhoto got more focus this time. GarageBand added lessons (woo hoo), iDVD didn't really need anything anyway. iWeb got FTP and more Widgets.

Don't expect a major overhaul across the suite every time. The only way I'd buy either one (perfectly happy with the '08 editions) is if I notice them in a campus bookstore. $39 each. That I'd go for.

5. tjkahn macrumors newbie

Where is idvd?

Hi all. I'm new to Macs, so this is a very basic question. Just got the 24" 2.8GHz model last week. I see imovie, iphoto, and garage band in my icons, but no iDvd or iWeb - I assume it's there somewhere - how do I get to it?

Also, my computer was ordered Dec. 25 and shipped Dec. 29. Is it worth calling Apple to see if they'll honor the $10 upgrade offer, even though I was a few days early?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Look in your Applications folder. They should be there. You can then drag them from there to your dock if you want them on your dock.

As for the upgrade, who knows? You can try, if you want to.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of features does iDVD really need, in addition to getting up to date themes? It doesn't really strike me as an app hugely in need of lots of additions. Apple does however have a tendency with apps like that to just let them fester till they get woefully out of date.

7. tjkahn macrumors newbie

Thanks. So basically, when my computer shipped, it was pre-determined what would be on the dock? Are all docks the same initially? Like I said, I've used a mac for all of two days (if you don't count college in 1990 :)), so thanks for indulging the dumb questions.

As for the upgrade, I probably don't need any of it - but it's worth a phone call if it only costs $10.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, you know how in Windows, there is a "show all programs" that shows you everything that's installed, but only a few programs come up in the "favorites" part on the left side of the two-column start menu? Sort of the same.

The way the dock works is that it shows whichever app (or folder, document, etc) icons you pick as your "favorites" -- most people typically put their frequently used apps in here. Plus whenever you run an app, it gets added to the dock temporarily if it's not there already (you can drag it to another place on the dock or right click it to keep it after you close it, also).

So the dock doesn't really hold programs -- just links to them. That way it acts as a sort of hybrid between the task bar in Windows and the favorites / quick launch icons.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I wouldn't say they are dead. iWeb has an important role to play with MobileMe integration - it simply didn't receive any major updates this time around. As for iDVD, I agree with mkirshnan, how much added functionality and improvements can Apple really make to the app? I don't want them to update and change things just for the sake of doing so.

iWeb is relatively new, has an integral role to play in the suite and will not be removed. iDVD hasn't been significantly updated for 3 years and it hasn't been dropped as a result, so no, I do not think either app is "dead". They are both important components in the iLife suite and contribute to why the suite is so comprehensive and slick. Take those apps away and the suite loses some of its usefulness and functionality from an integration perspective.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

iWeb and iDVD aren't dead, even the icons were in the Keynote slide, but I guess they didn't really get updated.

One thing I noticed is that there doesn't seem to be an option to crop, scale, or move pictures when adding photos to a theme. I had to create copies of the photos I wanted in the main page and crop them with preview. <- Stuff like that needs improvement IMHO.

11. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

iWeb's new FTP feature is a huge deal for me.

I don't want to pay for Mobile Me. I used to use GoDaddy for paid hosting, now I found a free host with no ads (less space, servers out of US). I have been forced to re-upload my entire site with slow cable modem upstream speeds.

I considered MobileMe so I could publish only changes, and now the new iWeb will let me do that with FTP!

My hosting dollars can be spent on the cost of the new iLife 09 package instead of needing to pay for both.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's a good point. They should be able to just extend iPhoto's editor or something like that and have it pop up inline to let you make the change and then put it into the DVD.

It wasn't that hard for casual users to place their iWeb sites on other servers before, but yes, this is a major simplifier for anyone who updates their website more often than *cough* I do. :eek: