iWeb: include PDF doc or word doc

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Christopher11, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Christopher11 macrumors regular

Christopher11

Can you tell me please how to include a .pdf document for download in my iWeb designed website?

For music and movies, of course, I just drop it right in and it works perfectly.

With the .pdf or word document however, when I drop it in iWeb tries to display all the text from the document at the page. Definitely not what I want.

I want to embed the file, so that users can click on and download it. If this is not possible with iWeb, is it possible to host the file somewhere else, and link to it? I would prefer to link to a page with the file at my own site.

Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate any help.

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Select anything, like some text or a picture. Turn that into a link and select your pdf as the target for the link.

Thats it!:)

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Look at my website (http://www.matthewhutton.com), it's in iWeb and allows uses to download PDF's. You add them by going to the hyperlink (far right) option in the inspector and select the file you wish to let people download.

PS PDF is better than Word, unless people need to edit the files, as it's platform neutral and is designed for this sort of thing ;).

4. iWebby macrumors newbie

iWeb: Linking to and external PDF

Thanks for confirming that I can add the utility of downloading PDFs from my site. Where do you store the PDFs, on iDisk or on your home computer? Nice looking site!

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Do you have a .Mac account? If so, you can upload the file into your .Mac Public folder, and link to it from the web page.

The link format is:

http://idisk.mac.com/yourdotmacaccount/Public/filename.pdf

6. subter99 macrumors newbie

IWeb Posting PDF Files

I am still having trouble with posting a file.

I want users to be able to download a file that is in the public folder in my idisk. I tried dragging the file to the page. It did not link to the file but to a non-existent web page. I tried creating a link to a the page as reccommended. That linked to the page but it required a password for access.

Does someone have the answer? please.

Thanks.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It requires a password for access unless you turn the requirement for a password off. This is accomplished in System Preferences/.Mac/iDisk.

8. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

From Pages

I can't remember if this function came in earlier versions of PAges, but in Pages 08, you can open a .doc document, and select "send to iWeb", this does what you need.

9. subter99 macrumors newbie

blah to password

Thanks IJ

My idisk preferences are set so that you should not need a password, yet when you click on the link the password window still pops up. It seems that posting it on .mac/idisk will require mac users to be logged into their .mac accounts. I want to be able to post this page to all users without any password requirement. Simple click and download to users computer.

Can you help me out? I would be greatly appreciative.

BTW: great screen name. I need to read Dunces again. I haven't read it in 15 years.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A password should not be required... I use my public folder for hosting downloads quite often. I set it up as "read only" and deselect the password. Works as it should -- I can't say why you are having a problem.

The source of my screen name gets recognized by someone about once a year. You're it so far, but it's only January! :)

11. bryanboone macrumors newbie

Fix

This post answered most of my question, but I had the solve the same problem you're having. You can't just use the "http://idisk.mac.com/yourdotmacaccou...c/filename.pdf" example found in this tread. You need to add a "-Public" after your username in the URL, otherwise you're targeting the root of you iDisk, hence the password prompt.

See my example below for a file called Guan Yin.pdf located in my iDisk public drive:

http://idisk.mac.com/bryanboone-Public/Guan Yin.pdf

Just drop the "-Public" into the string and it worked for me. I hope this helps!

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

that's nice. I just drop my PDF in the Sites/Web/ folder and link to them via an external link in iweb (check out the resume page on my site below)