iWeb issue need the prog to see restored version

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bzollinger, Feb 3, 2009.

?

How much do you like iWeb?

1. Love it! Couldn't be better!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. It's great, gets the job done!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It's alright, wish it was more customizable, compatible, and flexible.

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  4. It's the worst! I never use it! Instead I use.....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Hello,

I tried searching for this but didn't find any info so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Somewhere along the way of making updates and "improvements" to my website, the navigation links at the top of every page except the welcome/homepage stopped working. :eek::(

I was able to restore w/ time machine and am uploading it now. :D

But I have a problem with iWeb.

How do I get iWeb to see the restored version of the site instead of the screwed up one (it's still in finder under sites next to the "right" one).

What happens if I delete the site in the finder? Will iWeb tweak?

thanks for any iWeb guru info you might be able to give.

BZ

2. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

anyone?

Can anyone tell me where to look for information on how to do this? I looked at Apple support and searched this forum.

I just want to be able to update my site, publish it to a folder and then upload it to be hosted.

As it sits when I open iWeb, it's opening the non working or wrong version of the site.

I guess it'd be a similar process to putting site files from an old mac on to a new mac then "pointing" iWeb to the old site. Or importing the old site into iWeb. Any ideas?

thanks,
    BZ

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Getting iWeb to see the restored site is simple actually. Just go into the location where the restored Domain.sites file is and double click it there. iWeb will start up using that file rather than the one it has been defaulting to. The one you double click will now be the default one that opens when you start iWeb.

When you are satisfied that that is the case, I would suggest that you delete the one you no longer want to use.

4. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Great info! I've been looking around for the domain.sites file and can't seem to find it. I've used spotlight and search. I've looked for "domain.sites" the substituted domain for the name of my site, and still couldn't find it. I searched using *.sites, *.site, .sites, .site and still couldn't get to that file.

Can you tell me the typical path/directory that it's in?

thanks for all your help,

BZ

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, the correct path to the location of the Domain.sites (or Domain.sites2) file is:
    YourHardDriveName/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites

I left that out the first time around since I guess I thought you just restored that individual file so you would know where it belongs (since you would have to dig down to it to restore it by itself), but in rereading your original post I realize now you may have just done a complete restoration. I just noticed where you said it was the Sites folder you were looking at! :eek: Oops.

So what I am saying is that if you just restored the "Sites" folder with TimeMachine then the older Domain.sites file would not have been restored with that and may still need to be done. If you wind up restoring just that file, TM will ask you if you want to replace the one that is already in that location or keep both so that is up to you. If you keep both it will add "(original)" to the file name of one.

6. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Got it! Thanks for the info. I'm still learning my way around the system files in OSX. Now it looks like that directory got excluded from my TM backups sin the middle of September. :rolleyes:

So I could restore that one, but it's an earlier version of the site. I wonder what that would do?

Thank you so much for your help. Now I've got to ask is there a way to recreate the domain file from the published site files? I've been backing them up regularly.

iWeb sure is different that using Dreamweaver!!

Thanks again!
    BZ

7. gigih7 macrumors newbie

gigih7

Hi,

My gigi and I am new to the site.
    I joined this site today to try to get this very question answered. I have a video production company and created a website in iweb. first site ever. It has a lot of ipod sized videos on in and mind you, it has been working fine though takes a while to open pages for visitors. My problem is yesterday my one to one teacher helped me make two separate folders within my mobile me domain because I have created a few websites. I want to publish just Spirit of Play Productions to Go Daddy with its own URL. After doing this, I made a miner change one of my video pages, and now when publishing site, the hour glass never completes and publishing never finishes. When I visit site from web, the welcome page is fine, but when I click on other pages I also get the sorry message. I don't have time machine, but when I click on pages within I web itself, they all work fine. Can somebody help me.

thanks

gigi

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OUCH! Having that directory excluded really does put a hurt on it! :( You could try restoring the older Domains I guess (and choose keep both when TM asks) and then start up from it as I described earlier to see just how far that takes you back and whether the problem disappears. Then you could make a decision as to whether editing the website to the current state or trying to figure out what the current one's problem is would be easier as....

... the part 2 of the bad news is that no, there is no way to use the published files to rebuild the Domain.sites file! There is no method of importing published site files.:( I'm just full of good news, eh?

Sorry for all the bad news, but at least you have a current Domain.sites and an older one, so you can use the two of them to figure out how to proceed.

9. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Bugger! Thanks for the help and information. I'll restore the older domains file and go from there.

I've got the site files so copy and paste here we come if that's what it takes.

Live and learn!

thanks,
    BZ

10. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Are you publishing the site to a folder, then uploading it separately? Or directly to mobile me?

I'd suggest publishing to a folder, then using an FTP program like cyberduck to manually upload it to your hosting location.

Good luck.

BZ

11. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

So I was able to use the site files to re-create the site to a more up to date point. So now my domain.sites file is fairly close to what I lost and now the directory is included in TM.

Lesson learned, thanks for the info.