iWeb: Moving my site from my desktop to my Powerbook.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RumMunkey, Jul 11, 2007.

1. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I'm having a bit of a brain freeze here... I know this can be done.

I want to move my iWeb website from my tower to my Powerbook, but be able to move it back later.

It makes more sense to have it on the PowerBook sometimes, so I can write blog pages and make minor updates on-the-go.

I'd also like to be able to move it back to my tower so when I want to use the media browser for larger (though less frequent) updates that involve pulling photos from iPhoto, or tunes from iTunes, I can do that easily.

So.. what do I need to grab off the tower to make sure I've got everything so I can open and work on it on my PowerBoook?

2. discodave macrumors member

Easy. On your desktop, navigate through Finder to your home drive. The go to Library>Application Support>iWeb>Domain

The Domain file contains everything you've done in iWeb. Copy that onto your Powerbook to the same location you took it from above. Open iWeb and thats you. When your finished, you can drag the newest Domain file back to the desktop machine and vice versa.

David

3. RumMunkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Ah ha! Thanks.

I won't need the published folder though, right? (I don't use .mac).

iWeb actually keeps everything in the domain file doesn't it? It doesn't actually do anything to the HTML files until I publish to that folder, so I can just move the domain file back and forth to either computer, so long as I open the most recent one at any given time I've got the most recent changes.

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

what do you mean you dont use .mac, how can you use iweb and not .mac

5. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Save the site as a folder then FTP it to wherever you want.

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

oh ok im not really good with the whole ftp and stuff so ill leave that fun stuff to you guys :)

7. RumMunkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

In the interest of helping people who may stumble across this thread in the future, here's what I've decided to do:

I will keep the domains file on a portable flash drive. On my powerbook, I'll re-name or move the domains file that's there and open iWeb. Doing that will prompt it to ask me if I want to create a new domain file or use one that's elsewhere. I'll simply point it to the one on my flash drive and then iWeb will open the site.

I'll "break" the domains file on my tower in the same way, and point it at the flash drive too.

This way, the site will ALWAYS reside on my flash drive, and I can update it from either of my Macs, or (theoretically anyway) from any Mac in the world.

8. discodave macrumors member

What I do is slightly different as your method doesn't give a reliable backup. Whenever I edit my site on my iMac, I copy 'Domain' to a flash drive and move it on to my PB so I can edit there. I put 'Domain' in it's proper location before opening iWeb and when I'm finished, I copy it back to my flash drive. Then when I use the iMac, I copy from the flash drive to the proper location on the iMac before opening iWeb. And on it goes...

That way, I always have a very recent backup on my flash drive and on another computer.

9. ascender macrumors 68000

Thanks for this info, very useful. Thought I'd reply and bump this thread in case people are using Leopard and need to know how to backup/restore anything they've done in iWeb.

10. Phooto macrumors member

Just stumbled on this thread.

I've created a site for someone else and would now like to give them the site to carry on editing on their Mac. I have four sites in my iWeb and want to let them have just one. Any ideas?

11. maddogmovies macrumors newbie

moving domain from one computer to another

when i go library->application supprt->
    there is no iweb..
    how do i get to the domain file without the iweb connection to copy to flashdrive??

12. mrpickle macrumors newbie

how to a share an iWeb site with a customer

After some web work I had done, this is exactly what I had to do. I had 5 sites in my iWeb.

1) make a backup of your 'domain' file
    home\library\application support\iWeb\~domain2
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1105
    I placed the backup at \home\documents\iWeb Sites\master\
    2) opened iWeb and deleted all but one site called Acme, and quite iWeb
    3) copied the 'domain' file from where Apple stores it to \home\documents\iWeb Sites\Acme\
    4) copied back the 'domain' file from master to Apple's default location \home\library\application support\iWeb\~domain. Opened iWeb and deleted all but one site, called DogRescure. Quite iWeb
    5) copied the 'domain' file to \home\documents\iWeb Sites\DogRescue

The method above puts a single site to work on for each 'domain' file. To open a particular site, go to \home\documents\iWeb Sites\ and choose the site you wish to modify.

Thanks,
    Brian

Some info on iWeb's weaknesses
    http://iwebfaq.org/site/iWeb_Backup_retrieve.html

Quick tool, iWebSites (I haven't tested this)
    http://mistergregg.com/cocoadrillosoftware/iWebSites/
    When Apple introduced its clever iLife web design software, iWeb, they left out one important feature: the ability to load and save multiple web sites. There isn’t even an “Open” menu item under the File Menu! You can create multiple “sites” that are somewhat independent of each other, but they still exist as one file (”Domains.sites”) and cannot be separately uploaded onto different web servers or into different .Mac accounts.

iWebSites rectifies this by manipulating the files in the directory where iWeb keeps its website files, and allows users to have multiple websites that are completely independent of each other. iWebSites creates new sites, duplicates sites you already have, sets the “default site” for iWeb, and allows you to delete sites.

13. mbeagle macrumors newbie

moving iweb file

Am trying to move my iweb file from laptop to desktop.

I went to applications/library/app support but cannot find iweb to get to domain.