iWeb Navigation Bar

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by gloveguy, Jul 7, 2011.

1. gloveguy macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I own and operate a small landscape business. I'm currently re-vamping my website to include galleries of different sites that my company has worked on, etc.

In my old site I simply have a 2 entries in the navigation bar that say "Maintenance" and "Installations", respectively, and then a simple gallery of photos.

With the new site, I have a lot more photos, etc. So, I wanted to gave the navigation bar with a section called "Galleries" then have the viewer click on various albums that appear within the "Galleries" page, and read a description of each job, etc.

So, what I did was created the page "Galleries" in iweb and then I created sub-pages in iWeb that have a gallery pertaining to each job that we have either installed or maintained. Then, here's where it get dicey, I dragged each sub-page in iWeb into the "Galleries" page hoping that I could combine these pages to have a neater looking navigation bar.

Now, when I Navigate the site in iWeb everything works fine, but when navigate the published site on my browser the "Galleries" entry shows up in the navigation bar but nothing happens when I click on it. All the other entries/pages in the navigation bar work correctly but when I click on the "Galleries" page it simply stays on whatever page I happen to be on the site. Almost like the link is dead. "Galleries is there on the navigation bar on the browser, and even changes colour when I mouse-over the word "Galleries" but nothing happens when I click on it. The site simply stays on whatever page I happen to be on.

As you can see I'm a newbie, but does what I'm trying to convey making sense? lol.

Is there something I need to do in iWeb to make this work correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance, for your time. I look forward to your replies.

2. EasyG macrumors newbie

iWEB Navigation Bar to gloveguy

This is an easy one if I understand your explanation.

Don't use the navigation in iWEB; design your own. In that way you can include Galleries as a page but none of the pages I'm about to add.

Under the galleries page on the list on the left hand side, start adding pages one by one; The Jones Job, The Smith Job, The Murphy Job, etc. On each page put your copy and photos pertaining to that job. Now when they click on Galleries in the navigation menu you made, they'll find a page with a listing and photo of all your jobs that have hyperlinks to each one of your pages (The Jones Job), for instance. When they click on the Jones Job hyperlink on the Galleries page, they go to the whole ball of wax on the Jones Job. (On the Jones Job page you'll have a link "Back to the Gallery Page" and back they go to click on the Smith Job and see that one, etc., etc. On the Galleries page you can use an extra photo from each job to use as a hyperlink.

If you need help with making your own navigation menu, just ask. EasyG

3. gloveguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi EasyG,

Thanks for the reply.

I actually did turn on iWeb's navigation bar and created my own. It's weird how all the other links from the nav. bar work except the "Galleries" link. I took out the old "Galleries" page and re-did a new one with a new nav. bar and got the same result.

The old page was set up by using the "photos" selection from the template menu to facilitate dragging multiple albums from different jobs onto one page. The new "Galleries" page was done by selecting the "blank" selection from the template menu, but now I can't even drag the created albums into that page as it's currently done.

I'm thinking I need a tutorial on linking one page to another within the website. Your description was of laying out the different pages and hyperlinking off the page was starting to make sense, but I got lost somewhere in there. :confused:

Anyway, I have created my own navigation bar, like you suggested, and I had already done the copy and album for 4 different jobs as their own, separate pages on the left hand side of iWeb. I guess I just need a boost as to how to get the different created job pages to jive and link of the main "Galleries" page.

Thanks for the time. I look forward to your reply.

Regards,