iWeb now supports personal domains?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boss1, Aug 7, 2007.

1. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I just read a blurb on engadget's live site :

....."Page with all the photos. Taking up just one position in the navigation. Put pointers to .Mac page as well. Personal domain support. If you have a personal domain, that's now supported. Themes, you can change theme now if you like. We've shipped some great themes. This is iWeb in iLife '08"

Am I reading this right?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

3. Chasealicious macrumors member

Chasealicious

what it still doesn't let us to is publish directly to a third-party host, meaning we still have to publish to a folder on our local drive then use an FTP client to get it online. lame.

overall, very disappointed with the iWeb update.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

how is that different to just forwarding my domain to the iweb adress? i mean i'm doing that anyway. and if i have 7 iweb sites with different site names do i need then seven domain names? in that case you make a quick website with a button for each iweb site. that feature doesn't help a lot.

more important to me: can i publish only some of my iweb sites?
    right now i have to publish them all or none. and usually a few of them are in construction and i don't want to publish them yet.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

you can already do that on iWeb

6. boss1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

boss1

I'm confused by some of the replies here.

Currently I've been publishing my website from iWeb to a folder. Then using iWeb enhancer to embed html. Then finally using Fetch to upload via FTP to a non mac host. This sucks because it's a multi step process that writes the entire site to my drive even if i just change one text box. It also sucks because Fetch sees everything re written thus Fetch re uploads the entire site because iWeb re wrote the whole thing. This whole process makes the smallest update to a website a 1 hour deal for me.

with iWeb 08 It seems like I should be able to publish to remote host directly? and with the new "HTML snipet" option under the widgets pull down menu. I should be able to avoid using iWeb enhancer also?

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I can't find anything about how domain email is handled. Steve is talking about domain hosting for .Mac users who have iLife 08, yes?