iWeb on a second Mac can't see my website

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Invizzible, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

I have a site that I made with iWeb on my iMac. Now I have a second Mac, a Mini, and I am trying to use it to work on my site but I can't figure out how to access the current site with iWeb. All it seems to want to do is create new sites. My site is saved to the "Sites" folder on my hard drive, and uploaded to my MobileMe space. Yet there doesn't seem to be any way to open the site, from either location, with iWeb on the Mini. Am I missing something obvious?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes, you are missing something, but I would not call it obvious by any means. The data for your site(s) that iWeb uses for editing is stored in a file called Domain.sites (or Domain.sites2 in some cases).

That file by default is located by the following path on your hard drive:

Users/username/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites

To edit the same site on a second Mac, the Domain.sites file needs to be copied to the second Mac, preferably to the same location for simplicity. Keep in mind that if you edit this file on say Mac A, you would need to copy the file to Mac B if you wanted to continue edits to it there, then back to Mac A if you wanted to further edit it there. For that reason, it is probably simplest to try to do all edits to a particular site on a single Mac, although....

....one suggestion that I know some people have used successfully with multiple Macs editing the same Domain.sites file when they have MobileMe is as follows.

• Initially copy the Domain.sites file to your MobileMe storage space.
    • If you want to edit it from either Mac, download the file and put it in place on the Mac you wish to edit with
    • Make edits, then immediately after quitting iWeb, copy the file back to your MobileMe space
    • Repeat as desired

That will work ok since you will always keep the newest version of Domain.sites on your MobileMe space, but only if you understand that it can only wind up being edited on one Mac at a time successfully.

3. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!! I found the file on my iMac, I'll give that a try tomorrow! (I had no idea that file existed, I thought all I needed were the files in my "Users>Username>Sites" folder).

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

One more thing I should mention is that if you copy it over and start up iWeb on the mini and it does not start up showing the site you want to work on (very unlikely), then quit iWeb and just double click the domain.sites files and it will open in iWeb just fine.

Good luck.

5. davelong9050 macrumors newbie

Good Information

sickmacdoc,

Any reason why the Domain.sites file is not a file that can be sync'd automatically?

And for that matter any file that resides on any number of computers in your own domain?

Curious.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Probably no problem with that really- personally I don't use MobileMe and have a woeful lack of knowledge regarding syncing through it. :eek: As long as it guarantees that the most current version of the file is available on each machine for editing at any time (as I assume it is intended to do) it should work fine.

When you finish editing the file, when would the sync upload take place and would that happen automatically?

7. davelong9050 macrumors newbie

If both machines are set to sync "automatically" then you will always have the latest sync but you are limited to which files you can sync. Apple calls out which files you can sync and Domains is not one of them. Thought you might have some insight as to why they are so limiting. Not sure what triggers an auto sync but it is pretty quick after you make a change. And if you want it quicker you can always do a manual sync anytime.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That's too bad about the limitations on which files can be synced then. That sounded promising and I was hoping to add it to my notes. Thanks for that info.