iWeb Outputting Text as Image

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MarkW19, Jul 4, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Does anyone know how to avoid this? It only happens on one page, which has a lot of text on it, but it's very annoying! It's eating up bandwidth, making the page much slower to load, and obviously restricting indexing etc.

Can anyone help?

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

This is only supposed to happen when you're not using a Web-safe font. It's set up this way to prevent Web newbies from using WhateverFont and it looking fine on their computer, but not realizing it's getting randomly substituted on everyone else's computer, because they don't have WhateverFont installed.

Stick with standards like Arial, Verdana, Times New Roman, etc., and you should be fine.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, but the page is already in Arial. Also, the whole of my site is in the same font (Arial), and it's only the content on this page that it always decides to output as an image. I moved the text box from another page (where it also output as an image) to the current page, and it's still the same on the new page, so it seems to be something wrong with the actual text...

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Can you post a link, and maybe a screenshot of the page in iWeb with the font selector visible?

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

6. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Sorry, but it turns out I can't tell from a screen cap. I thought I might be able to. I'm wondering if it used to be a non-standard font, and you changed it back? Just a guess.

Either way, that site is a mess. Everything opened up in new windows, and it looks like you're trying to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for using the most font sizes, styles and colors. Sorry. I had to say it. :)

Post your question in the Web design section, along with the links you posted here. There are some iWeb smart people there. I'm sure someone can help.

7. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

No, it's always been Arial.

Everything shouldn't open in new windows, all links (except links to external sites) aren't set to open in new windows, and no-one else has mentioned that problem (inc. a web designer/I.T. friend who's currently trying to clean up the terrible code that iWeb spits out for me). Odd...

And, re. sizes and colours, they're all in keeping with my brand, not just random, the colours (white/red/blue), and the sizes (and indeed colours) are just to differentiate the different sections and attempt to draw attention to certain parts. I know where you're coming from, but slight exaggeration perhaps :) But yes, it may need a bit more streamlining. My first priority is just trying to make the site faster and the code cleaner, and for this I may have to lose iWeb altogether. Not one of Apple's better attempts, it may seem...

Thanks anyway.

8. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I agree. You should lose iWeb.

IMO, iWeb is a tremendous program, but it's not meant to be used the way you're using it. It's a simple tool, designed to make Web sites from fantastic-looking templates that were created by professional designers. Judging by the site I'm looking at, I think you're looking for something a little more free-form in nature, than what iWeb was meant to offer.

9. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm just saying that 17 different variations on one page might be a little much. Your call, though.

Attached Files:

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Wtf?

Click to enter? What? I didn't know web sites a front door.

Hey, 1999 wants their web design ideas back. You shouldn't have to click to enter ANY site (unless you're paying for it).

Oh, and more color please. Staring at your page is cheaper than buying acid, but nearly as effective.

Still needs something though...

Maybe some cowbell?