iWeb photo page/java script issue

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by chachu7154, Mar 13, 2008.

1. chachu7154 macrumors newbie

I made a website with iWeb (www.ventureitaly.com) and it had been running fine. I update it on a weekly basis. After my most recent photo page update, my photo albums won't appear on the photo page.

Everything used to work fine and I am not doing anything differently. When I run the index file offline, everything runs properly. I have a photo page with about ten or so albums, which you can click on to view photos.

The page loads, just not the albums. All the files appear to be in order (in my Public HTML folder on my host server). It is the same problem on firefox, safari, and internet explorer.

IE gives me an error that reads something like:

Line 34 Char 71 "Undefined" is null or not an object.

I assume this refers to code (which I know little about, otherwise I probably wouldn't be using iWeb). That line in the source code has to do with the java script for the photo page (the slideshow feature perhaps?).

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening and what I can do to fix it. I would try calling apple since I think it is an iWeb issue and not a hosting issue (other pages upload fine), but I am in Italy now and can't afford to be on hold. I can't seem to get through to the Italian number either though my Italian computer lingo is limited.

Any suggestions would be tremendously appreciated as I have been trying to solve this mystery for almost three weeks now.

Thanks a bunch.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

When I went to the Photos page I saw an error for your rss.xml file. It's malformed. On line 69 and down, that stuff is outside the rss tag, which is the problem. Not sure what you're using to create that file (or if it's iWeb), but that's one problem. There was also an error for the Photos.js file on line 7 about headerView not having properties. This is potentially occurring because of the first problem so I'd leave it alone until you get that fixed.

3. chachu7154 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...

Well that's very frustrating. I am only using iWeb since I know very little about programing webpages. I don't alter anything on my own so it must be something that the program is doing.

I tried deleting the main rss.xml file for the photo page and uploading the file again, but that didn't change anything.

Are you familiar with iWeb and have any ideas for how I can fix this?

Thanks for your help.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Firstly IE's line numbers in their javascript debugger are complete rubbish. Second try rebuilding the site. If that doesn't work file a bug with http://bugreport.apple.com or iWeb iWeb Menu>Provide Apple Feedback, its Apples fault.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, the good news is there's no more error from the rss.xml file so re-uploading that did help one thing. Though, that other error was still present. The headerView variable it mentions gets assigned to a widget15 (whatever that is), but in the source code I only mentioning of widget18 and widget19. Does that mean something? Maybe. I don't use iWeb because I like hand coding pages.

I'd try removing the photo album components, then save it and reupload, then go back and try to add it again. Maybe that'll force it to rewrite the JavaScript file, which is giving the error. That's my best idea with my limited understanding of iWeb.