iWeb Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ufkdo, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I created a very simple web page with iweb and uploaded it to a FTP server (awardspace.com is my host - I use free plan since the site will be used by me or some other close friends).

But, the webpage does not working. Every time I try to open webpage, I'm taking server error. Then I'm trying to open some exact directions (domain/mysitename/home.html) but browser says the link is broken.

Then, I'm deleting index file that iweb created and replacing it with a normal html file (created by me, includes some simple codes) and it is working !

I don't know what is the problem but html files created by iweb does not work properly. Is the issue about my host? How can I solve this?

Thanks,
    Regards.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You didn't give a lot of info to go on. You may need to speak with your web host though as there's a potential that the problem is on their end. Some web hosts have been known to have issues displaying web sites created in iWeb as well.

3. ufkdo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advise. I also realized I did't give enough info because this is the first time I face with such a problem.

I will talk to my host as well as Apple help.
    Thanks again.

4. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

iWeb is best used with 'MobileMe', but can obviously also be used with other hosts.

I did have a website set up with a host and i used the built in FTP client to move my webpages to my web host. It worked well, until recently when it just stopped. I think iWeb is a very simple, delicate page creator and i think is only good for portfolios, however, can be very nice to do a small site too.

Just make sure you have the files uploaded to the correct directory on your web host and make sure you have filled in the correct locations in the built in FTP server on iWeb (which isn't very good but does the job).

So if you are looking for something professional, i would recommend not using iWeb, but if not and you just want a small site or portfolio, then i would recommend getting 'Mobile Me' and using that.

Good luck, sorry if i was no help.

-iMacBoy

5. ufkdo thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, mobile me is very expensive for me.

My site is really simple, there are my personal thoughts on this site, etc.

I couldn't talk to my host since their server is down. Could you please advise me some free host sites? (compatibility with iweb and no forced ads is enough for me)

6. ufkdo, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

ufkdo thread starter macrumors 6502

I found a linux host from Turkey, and I guess problem is solved (it is working now)

Thanks everybody.