iWeb problems. Or recommend an alternative?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by czhey, Oct 25, 2013.

1. czhey macrumors newbie

Hi, some advice would be welcome! I hope some of this makes sense I have very little understanding of html...

I spent hours making a lovely website on iWeb, but when I go to upload it to my hosting I just get a 404 error :( I'm not 100% sure I uploaded the rights things into the right places (index and folder of everything into public_html)
    After I've uploaded index.html and then try to edit it, there is no info in it, such as text size, colour etc. only 1 paragraph that seems to say what type of code it is. That's true of the index.html in the public_html folder, and the mywebsite.co folder. Is that normal? Same happens if I upload from my host, or a separate FTP program...

Failing that what free website builder can I use on Mac? Ideally mobile friendly... Only a simple site I need.

Czhey

2. czhey thread starter macrumors newbie

Stupid question!
    so i have an index.html in my public_html folder
    i then have folder named "mywebsite.com", which then has another index.html in it... is that wrong!?

edit- the first points at url=mywebsite.com/Home/Home.html
    the second one, the one in the folder, points at just url=Home/Home.html

3. SparkyCanada macrumors member

Who is hosting your site?

Often these companies have excellent service (in my experience anyway) - and should be able to guide you through the process of setting up your iWeb site...

SparkyCanada

4. czhey thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! they were very helpful. they went in and change the name of a folder now it works! :) just cant work out which one! ha ha

thank you

5. exoceano macrumors newbie

Iweb on newest systems

I'm running 10.7.5 - does iWeb work OK on news systems - including Mavericks ??

I thought I'd seen where ther were some compatibility issues ??

:(

6. czhey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

All seems to be working now...

Can't quite work out what I did! Maybe called the folder website.com not www.website.com....

Thanks for the help