Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
So, this may be a confusing or stupid question, but here goes:

I'm interested in building a simple site for my lab (I'm a grad student) on iWeb and then sending it to my lab manager so he can publish it and make changes if he wants. Is there a way that I can get ahold of the html or whatever files that make up my website, export or save them to another location, and then access them using another web developing software? Sorry, for the lack of knowledge... :eek: I'm a rookie at website stuff. I *just* got my own iWeb site up and running. :( Thanks! :)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i didn't want to start a new thread so i use this one because i think my question at least somehow fits the title.

apple allows you to have your iweb data whereever you want so you can update your site from any computer (see below)

can you have mutliple domain.sites and load the one you want to change into iweb (for each site a domain.site file)? that means can you work with smaller files and update faster? or does that mess up your .mac publishing?

May 25, 2006

A number of .Mac members have written in, asking if it’s possible to publish their iWeb sites from more than one Mac. It is, and it takes just a few simple steps. There are three things you’ll need: iWeb 1.1 installed on every Mac from which you plan to publish, some type of external storage to which you always have access (a folder on your iDisk, for example), and a basic knowledge of how to navigate the Finder.
When you create a website with iWeb, all your work is saved in a single file called domain.sites (it might appear simply as “domain” on your computer, but it’s the same file). By default, iWeb stores the file in the iWeb folder located inside the Application Support folder in your Library (Users/username/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites).
All you need to do is quit iWeb (if it’s open), locate the domain.sites file, and move it to wherever you’re going to use it. Then double-click the file in its new location. iWeb will launch, and you’re done. From then on, iWeb will automatically save your work in the new location, and you’ll be able to publish your site from any Mac that has access to it. Who knows, it could be the start of your global web publishing empire. [\Quote]

Niclariv

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Here's a question - what if I want to design a website for someone and then send them the domain file, but I've already got my own website designed in iWeb and I don't want to send them that as well? Can I export a domain file with only one website out of more than one that are designed in iWeb?

i didn't want to start a new thread so i use this one because i think my question at least somehow fits the title.

apple allows you to have your iweb data whereever you want so you can update your site from any computer (see below)

can you have mutliple domain.sites and load the one you want to change into iweb (for each site a domain.site file)? that means can you work with smaller files and update faster? or does that mess up your .mac publishing?

May 25, 2006

A number of .Mac members have written in, asking if it’s possible to publish their iWeb sites from more than one Mac. It is, and it takes just a few simple steps. There are three things you’ll need: iWeb 1.1 installed on every Mac from which you plan to publish, some type of external storage to which you always have access (a folder on your iDisk, for example), and a basic knowledge of how to navigate the Finder.
When you create a website with iWeb, all your work is saved in a single file called domain.sites (it might appear simply as “domain” on your computer, but it’s the same file). By default, iWeb stores the file in the iWeb folder located inside the Application Support folder in your Library (Users/username/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites).
All you need to do is quit iWeb (if it’s open), locate the domain.sites file, and move it to wherever you’re going to use it. Then double-click the file in its new location. iWeb will launch, and you’re done. From then on, iWeb will automatically save your work in the new location, and you’ll be able to publish your site from any Mac that has access to it. Who knows, it could be the start of your global web publishing empire. [\Quote]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.