iweb questions

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by matthewjhawkins, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. matthewjhawkins macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    #1
    I have two domains that I publish to with iweb. When i publish to a folder I just drag the files into the ftp program and it seems to work so far. but the problem is now that I want a rss suscribe button on my blog, it wont go to the correct page.

    my domain is www.matthewjhawkins.com It is on the blog section of my page, and when i click on that link it takes me to http://www.matthewjhawkins.com/Personal_Page/BLOG/rss.xml

    what I want it to go to i assume is the www.matthewjhawkins.com/BLOG/rss.xml but since i have two iweb sites that i manage and publish, it is adding that personal_page site and i am not sure how to get around that.

    Does anyone have any ideas?? anyone used the rss feed in iweb with more than 1 site being published?

    matt
     
  2. yippy macrumors 68020

    yippy

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #2
    I have run into the same problem, iWeb seems to assume all sites are published together in the same location.

    The work around I have found is to hit publish, make sure the URL is correct for one site. Upload that site. Then hit publish again and change the URL to the correct one for the second site. Then when you upload the second site (don't upload the first again) it should be correct.

    Hopefully there is a better way though.
     
  3. mkaake macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    mi
    #3
    I actually made a program (with applescript studio) to go through this process for me. It's more important with iWeb 2 than it was with iWeb 1 (because of how some things are handled on photo pages)...

    The basis for my program though, is a simple applescript routine combined with TextWrangler (link, free). I outline a bit of how I use it here: http://www.matthewkaake.com/AppleScript/TextWrangler.html

    But in short, if you make yourself an applescript routine something like this:

    Code:
    global local_path, site_url, changefrom, changeto, filetype
    
    set site_url to "www.yourwebsite.com/Folder_its_located_in/"
    set changefrom to "www.replaceme.com/default_folder_name_from_iWeb/"
    set local_path to (choose folder with prompt "Select Local Folder:")
    set changeto to site_url
    
    (* Routine begins here... *)
    
    set filetype to "html"
    
    WrangleText()
    
    set filetype to "xml"
    
    WrangleText()
    
    (* Sub-Routines *)
    
    on WrangleText()
    	
    	
    	tell application "TextWrangler"
    		activate
    		
    		replace changefrom using changeto saving no searching in {alias (local_path as text)} options {search mode:literal, case sensitive:false, match words:false, extend selection:false, filter:{filter_mode:or_mode, ID:1, filter_terms:{{field:file_name, operator:op_contains, operand:filetype}}}, showing results:true} without text files only
    		
    	end tell
    	
    end WrangleText
    
    
    You'll be good to go. Just make two applescript routines (one for each site you're going to export) that has the appropriate parameters called out at the beginning of the script, and you'll be good to go.

    As a quick sidenote, this script assumes that in the 'your URL here' box, that you put in www.replaceme.com -> I just did that way back when so I could easily pick out a correct URL change from an incorrect URL change...
     
  4. mkaake macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    mi
    #4
    As an example of what I just posted, in my case, I've got some 7 or 8 sites listed in iWeb. One of them is my Applescript site. I've named the site AppleScript in iWeb (so it throws the site into a folder named AppleScript... saves a step on my part).

    That said, on export, iWeb will assign a URL of www.replaceme.com/AppleScript/ to all of the RSS feeds that come out of my AppleScript site. For the routine I posted, I'd do this:

    set site_url to "www.matthewkaake.com"
    set changefrom to "www.replaceme.com"

    Again, this is because I named my site in iWeb what I wanted the folder name to be on my server - saving a step. If I had named it something like "Garbage Site #3", but I was still uploading it to the folder www.matthewkaake.com/AppleScript/, I'd do this instead:

    set site_url to "www.matthewkaake.com/AppleScript/"
    set changefrom to "www.replaceme.com/Garbage_Site_#3/"

    The routine will then open all of the HTML and XML files in the directory you choose (there's a pop-up for that in the example I posted, though you could just as easily hard-code it), and replace the old URL with the new URL. And there you have it - it's ready to upload. Once you're comfortable with the process, I'd change another line of the applescript - in the big block of TextWrangler junk, change "saving no" to "saving yes". This will automatically save any changes made during the find/replace process (right now you need to save before you quit text wragler).

    This, btw, is why I ended up building myself an application, which I originally called iWeb Helper :D - it (using proper preference files) keeps track of all of my sites, what changes to make (including meta tags, and adding a few more bits of html in), and when it's all done, it'll upload the sites I've selected to my server automatically (using Transmit, another fantastic program, and wonderfully applescriptable...)...
     

Share This Page