iWeb - Retail site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by bigdaddymac, Nov 14, 2007.

1. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

I just got a new 2.2 Black MacBook, and iWeb 08, and want to create a small retail website. I've been experimenting with iWeb 08, and am curious if it's capable of creating a good retail site.

Anyone with any experience using iWeb for a retail purpose? Advice? Links to the site you've created??

2. yagran macrumors 6502a

iWeb is great for beginners. Its all down to how much traffic you expect, for small levels of traffic iWeb will probably create a strong enough site, but large scale and you may want to consider something more hardy.

iWeb is a fun program but getting the exact look you want can be difficult as a lot of it is dependent on pre defined templates.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

You meand a shopping cart with checkout and searching for products and so on. I'd say "no way, not even close". But if you just want to write about your products ad have a very light weight site then I guess you could use iWeb.

4. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

You could use iWeb to build product pages and link the purchase buttons to a hosted shopping cart provider such as FastCart to handle the ecommerce side. That should work.

Vanilla

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

If you have PayPal they can help you with "some" shopping cart things as you can drop them a line or do a search under iWeb sites. I have a few links that helped me think about what type of payments I wanted or even offer any.
    Just check out this page as it's all iWeb but some things added via templates and what not: http://www.rowan-cottage.co.uk/Site/Articles.html
    Try some of the links on that site and also try dropping him a line as well. I know on the Apple Support pages under iWeb someone tells about a work around using a shopping cart page from PayPal and offers some tips. Here it is: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1964121
    Let us know if this helped.

Last, copy and paste was your best friend and this was for iWeb 1.0 and not the new one so it maybe different by now.