iweb / safari / browser background colour

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dave12345, Jan 27, 2009.

1. dave12345 macrumors regular

Hi Guys - I've built a website in iweb - I've set all the page background and browser background colour to slightly off white - however when I view the website in safari there's a strip of white across the bottom of the page - then if I resize the browser window it updates to the off white colour I have selected... firefox works fine.

does anyone else have a problem with browser background like this ?

Cheers

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It would be easier if you provided a link. Also, so you know, there is a web design & development forum here.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Sounds to me like your divs and/or CSS might be acting up a little. However, without being able to look at the problem, I couldn't say. And simply resizing the browser window shouldn't reset the code, and so I can't see how that's solving the problem.

Screenshots? Link?

4. dave12345 thread starter macrumors regular

here's a link - www.tomguest.co.uk - thanks for any help... only seems to happen in safari

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm using Safari 4 and not seeing the white strip. What version are you using when you see it?

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Same here. I don't see anything wrong and I'm using the Safari 4 Beta on Windows.

7. dave12345 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the help guys ... i'm using safari 4 beta on mac - it happened on the previous version of safari also - here's a screen grab of what i'm talking about ... if i resize the window the white strip disappears.

Thanks

Attached Files:

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, I at least figured out why I couldn't see it. You can only see that strip if your browser is viewing area is taller than the entire height of the web page. I'm on a MacBook so have a short screen and didn't notice it as I have to scroll the page. Unfortunately that doesn't help much in solving it.

I also notice if you view the frame of the page that has the content, it doesn't have the issue. So I guess the problem lies somewhere within iWeb's use of frames and painting the background past the end of the page.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

This is why Dreamweaver was made

Dont try to take iWeb beyond child level website design.
    It just becomes a nightmare and isn't worth the stress.

10. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Exactly. Don't even get me started on how iWeb sites render under IE, or under any Windows browser. Horrible, just horrible.

Don

11. dave12345 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys - i will have a look at dream weaver ...

12. newpixel macrumors newbie

FOUC problem?

Hi dave12345,

It seems to me that you're running into a FOUC problem... http://jonaquino.blogspot.com/2007/02/workaround-for-safari-fouc-bug.html

I've been able to partially solve it using inline styles for the <body> tag:

Code:
    <title>XXXXX</title>
    <style type="text/css">
    body {
    	background-color: #000;
    }
    </style>

[I](other CSS / head code below)[/I]
    I'm still trying to sort out to solve a white flash that users get when a page within a frameset is loaded.

Hope it helps,

Tomi