iWeb SFTP Permission Problems

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by rmccarri, Dec 17, 2009.

1. rmccarri macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,
    I will preface this message by saying that I haven't owned a Mac since the Apple ][c that my parents had when I was a kid and haven't used a Mac since OS8. So please excuse the potentially novice nature of the question.

I maintain a web server as part of my job (it's running Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit server edition). I have multiple sites from multiple users in the web directory. I'm employing ACL (access conrol lists) to restrict users to particular directories.

Everything is working perfectly for all of my Windows and Linux users. They are able to read/write directories and files in the places in which I have given them access.

The one sole user that's having problems uses iWeb. iWeb is able to write to the directory only when I have set the user:group for the directory and files to the specific user. I should be able to set the user and group to www-data:www-data and then give the person specific permission to read/write in the directory using the ACL. This works for every SFTP client I have tested in Windows and Linux. I can even SSH into the system from his Mac and create and change files. It just seems to be the SFTP client built in to iWeb that cannot write to the directory. Unfortuately, it just gives a generic error with no information whatsoever.

Has anyone else run into permission problems with the iWeb SFTP client?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Rob

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not sure about iWeb's SSH client, but as a potential work around; iWeb lets you export to a folder on the computer. Then, they can S/FTP those files onto the server using a different client such as Cyberduck or Fugu.

One troubleshooting idea, when attempting the upload from within iWeb, open the Console app and see if any messages come up relating to the transfer.

3. rmccarri thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't aware of the console application. Each file gave the following error upon the put command:

12/17/09 1:35:44 PM iWeb[48333] [Error] PUT TRANSACTION t669 failed: Error Domain=FTPKitErrorDomain Code=2 UserInfo=0x1e1b8580 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Could not change permissions of “flowers_tile_700.jpg”."

I SSHed into the server under the username while I was able to read and write, I could not chmod, so that seems to be the issue. Thanks for the help on the console tip!

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Seems to be an error others have gotten relating to iWeb 09. No solution has been found though that I could see. Likely, Apple will have to make a change to fix it. In the mean time though, doing the Publish to Folder tip I gave earlier should work for the user until the issue has been resolved.

5. rmccarri thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the way that I've set it up on the server, the user doesn't have chmod permission on the files as they are owned by www-data and not the user.

The real question is why is the iWeb SFTP client trying to change the permissions. It should just use the PUT command and keep the default permission as is. I wonder if there is a way to disable this in iWeb. It would be nice if you could just tell it not to attempt to change the permissions.