iWeb showing different in IE8

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by BryanDowdy, Oct 14, 2011.

1. BryanDowdy macrumors newbie

My iWeb site looks different when viewed on a pc with XP and IE8. What can I do to fix this? First picture is on my mac second is on the pc. Another thing not in the pictures is I have text bullets on with little arrows and on the pc they show as little boxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

This is exactly why a professional should be hired to build a business website.

iWeb, like any other build your own website tool, writes the code for you. Different browsers interpret the code and fonts differently. There is a lot of bad code written by these programs. iWeb is designed to write code for webkit based browsers(Safari and Chrome). It would take a professional web developer to write code that works well across browsers.

----------

The main problem with the top navigation is you are trying to use a font that the pc doesn't have so it is substituting another font.

3. BryanDowdy thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope to be able to afford to have someone build it someday.

If the pc does not have the font for the nav, how come the "home" title in red is the correct font? Both the title and nav are bank gothic font

Thanks

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The text in red is rendered as an image, while the navigation is all straight text. You'll need to choose a different font in order to have it show up correctly on both (even then there will likely be size and spacing differences on different platforms and browsers). Try this list for ideas: http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_websafe_fonts.asp

jW

5. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

I didn't notice the title was the same font, its actually kinda hard to read it.

Since it is doing that either the title is that text in an image or both computers do have that font and the code is declaring the font wrong for the navigation.

Even if you do have the same font on both computers, many others may not and will see the replacement font like that.

----------

I'd be able to give you a better answer if you post a link to the site.