iweb site font size rendering issue in PCs (urgent!)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MarlboroLite, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I really need help here...have searched and searched and simply cannot find an answer! I have made a website in iWeb and after many hours of work I was able to get the proportions and rendering correct across all platforms and most browsers. The sole remaining issue is how the font is displayed on PCs. The type of browser makes no difference, the result is the same. I am using a web-safe font (book antiqua/Palatino linotype) which does display on PCs--it's not converting to Arial or something else. The only problem is the size of the font. Strangely the proportions are correct in relation to graphics etc, but the font is definitely not the correct size. I used 14 in iWeb--and using a web-safe font there should be no issues correct? You can also see the same thing when you go to the privacy policy and terms of use, which were done in another web safe font (lucida sans unicode) and the same size issue can be seen.

So then why would this be happening? How can I make sure the font size is correct in PCs?

The site is www.cookandbakecenter.com ...if you have a virtual machine or PC please compare the font with your mac and you will see the problem.

Thanks in advance!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There is nothing wrong. That's how it works. PCs usually use lower density displays so text might look bigger on pc.

There are so many variations with PC display size it's hard to get the perfect size.

However the font is slightly too small on the Mac side. Uncomfortable to read.

Web display usually use sans-serif for text body for better readability.

3. manueld macrumors 6502

This. If your going to use a serif font for body text, I would suggest going up in size just because of this issue or go to a sans-serif font.

4. MarlboroLite thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

The text is looking bigger on your PC?? The whole problem is that it is significantly smaller on PCs than macs...I'm a bit confused here.

Any suggestions for a replacement font?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

PC I got access to is 15" 1024x768 (low resolution)

Mac is 17" MBP 1680x1050

In that setup the same content will always look larger on the pc.

See upper right graphic on serif vs sans-serif (almost all websites use sans-serif for body, example: MR, wiki)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sans-serif

6. MarlboroLite thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Alright I've resolved the issue by changing the font to Verdana. Easier to read and relatively uniform across platforms.

Thanks for the help.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Great that you resolved it!

The font thing is something a basic web design book would cover btw.