iweb site not working under windows

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Nosoforos, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Nosoforos macrumors member

I just made some updates to our website. It used to work just fine on all machines. I did change a lot of things since I first made it, so I'm having a hard time finding out why it doesn't show up right anymore.

The first page should display our logo and play music, by clicking on the logo you enter the site.
    This logo is visible on my Mac on safari and Firefox, but not on another Mac with older Firefox version.
    A Windows machine in the house does not show the site right at all, it seems to squeeze the available space thus only showing a part of each page (firefox).

Maybe someone with more knowledge can help? I'm very new to building websites (that's why I use iWeb of course). Thanks!

the site: www.circustreurdier.nl (it's in Dutch)

2. Mitou macrumors regular

it does not work on my mac either. I see the logo I do not get music and I cannot enter.
    Using safari.

3. Nosoforos thread starter macrumors member

it was offline for a while, I uploaded it again. But still I only get it to work on my own computer. I'm puzzled, because the site itself seems to work fine on most browsers, but the logo won't appear anymore where first it did.

4. Mitou macrumors regular

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

You don't want to do things like this anyway. Splash screens are very '90s and a no-no these days, and so is playing music without asking the user first.

--Eric

6. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Indeed. Any site that doesn't show content within about 7 seconds, or starts playing sound is usually clicked away from immediately. Bad bad idea.

7. 7031 macrumors 6502

So true. If I see a splash screen I click the back button, and music makes me hit  + Q.

8. Nosoforos thread starter macrumors member

Actually I was thinking this too, I'm going to remove the first page. See if the problems continue...