Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Hi,
I'm new in website making...I'm just trying to make a site with iWeb and see how it goes.
But I have a question, When I create a web site and publish it on my domain,shoul I always have the original file of the site in my mac in order to add things to it,or can I erase the original file...?Because if I keep all in my mac,rhen a lot of space will be taken up. Because I know that when it us done thru windows,then a site is published and the pics and etc are added to it via a special online programme,how is it done on mac...?please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cerebrus' Maw

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
uhh, if I am understanding properly...

Yes, you should keep the original. For when you wish to make changes to your page, you simply load up your local copy, make your changes, and then overwrite the copy that is on your server (domain)

Most websites are actually quite small, unless it is heavily photo driven with images of large size/quality (photography web site for example)

Also, I've heard of problems of trying to import iWeb projects from your domain back into iWeb (especially if its between different versions)

As for the windows, I'm not sure what you mean by special program. Maybe you mean an FTP client, like Cyberduck or WSTP...?

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
uhh, if I am understanding properly...

Yes, you should keep the original. For when you wish to make changes to your page, you simply load up your local copy, make your changes, and then overwrite the copy that is on your server (domain)

Most websites are actually quite small, unless it is heavily photo driven with images of large size/quality (photography web site for example)

Also, I've heard of problems of trying to import iWeb projects from your domain back into iWeb (especially if its between different versions)

As for the windows, I'm not sure what you mean by special program. Maybe you mean an FTP client, like Cyberduck or WSTP...?
So, does that mean that if I install Cyberduck, I won't need to have the copy of the web site om my computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.