Iweb SITE REDIRECT

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ilmatthews, Mar 11, 2010.

1. ilmatthews macrumors newbie

I've been building a website on iWeb and have been having some issues with one thing. I've created a splash video as an intro video for the site. Ideally I want the splash video to end, and then have the next (home) page automatically load. I've come to think I need an HTML redirect code. Or a timed redirect?
    When I try this, the only section of the page that redirects is the small HTML snippet square. So I end up having a video thats ended and a small box at the bottom that has the next page in it.

Hopefully that description makes sense.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent way to automatically jump to the next page in iWeb????

mucho gracious

-ilmatthews
    :eek:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If it's a Flash-based video there's a way to have to send the user to a different URL at the end of the video. I've never done it myself so can't give specifics, but I know it's possible.

You won't be able to do a redirect from iWeb because it won't let you add tags to the HTML directly inside the head tag, It would have to be added after publishing the site, which is less ideal.

Overall though, most people hate splash pages and just want to get into your site, so you should really reconsider having it in the first place because you'll likely turn off most users and cause them to leave your site.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I agree. Splash pages haven't been really popular since the late '90s, and with good reason. Emphasis these days is on content-driven design, which means that the design presents as little barrier as possible to accessing your content, and often that the site's content is constantly being updated to attract repeat visitors.

That said, if you're making the Flash video yourself, you can just add a keyframe at the end and add the ActionScript command:

getURL("http://www.example.com/");