iWeb sites not working on my FTP server!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by thaflatline1, Oct 15, 2008.

1. thaflatline1 macrumors newbie

I use iweb to throw together quick websites and i manage a few, and just recently i cant get them to show up now.

I publish to a folder than upload the whole folder to the server, after i delete all previous files on website

But on one it doesnt show up period and the other it seems like the index file blended with the old one since the layouts are mixed from page to page.

i tried different uploads such as filezilla and classicftp but both ended the same.

I can sign on to the server and it shows them on their but they wont show up in the broowsers.

Help please!

websites are

WCVideo.org

WCPhotoServer.com

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Okay, lemme get this straight - you used two different FTP clients, cleaned out any files in your web space starting from the document root, then uploaded and files are merged and all screwy. Is this right?

I will assume you know how to use the FTP clients, know the correct document root or path to put the web files, and are familiar with index.html or other auto index files which load automatically when browsed by domain name only.

If so, in situations like this, I avoid the third party FTP client and ssh into the server directly as root, go into the web directory and manually check permissions and see what's there. I'd manually remove files, then use the FTP daemon running on the server to upload stuff manually, checking permissions and file ownership (chmod/chown) after uploading. I'd even go so far as using pico, vi or whatever text editor or CLI editor is installed on the server and examine index.html and compare it with the version on your computer loaded into notepad or whatever you use there.

I think recommending yet another third party FTP client accomplishes nothing, I would immediately go right to the server and troubleshoot.

If you do not have access to shell on your server, FTP clients also allow you to check permissions on files, options to prompt you on overwrite, and helpful tools to compare files server side vs. local. If this is all you can do at this point, ask for suggestions on FTP clients that do this from the group here.

Of course this also may be due to your local files being corrupted - so if you happen to have a localhost test platform setup (sandbox) via MAMP or whatever, test it local also.

I don't know what else to add at this point. Very bizarre, indeed.

-jim