iWeb Sites - What to do?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JASApplications, Oct 24, 2011.

1. JASApplications macrumors 65816

With the discontinuation of MobileMe and therefore the closure of the hosting for iWeb sites, I'm deciding what to do now!

Are you going to host your site with someone else or just start a brand new site somewhere else?

Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

From right inside iWeb, you can upload your entire site to any provider that gives you ftp access. I really stopped using mobile me for their web hosting once I realized Apple didn't support php or even the most basic server side includes. I still have photos on mobile me, many of which were auto-uploaded by my eye-fi card. They still show up in iphoto and I can download them and consider moving them to flickr or somewhere before it's too late.

Examples of paid hosting companies include hostgator, godaddy and bluehost. I've not had experience with any of the 3 but they are examples to get you started. There are also a lot of free hosting options out there like blogspot and wordpress. I abandoned the "blog" feature of iWeb in favor of blogspot and while I don't use it that often it worked better than iweb and it isn't going away next June.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can still use iWeb, but you'll need to find a new webhost once you do, just configure iWeb to ftp your site to the host address that was provided by your new webhost.

4. sandimacd macrumors regular

sandimacd

Using web to host photos

If you are using iWeb to basically host photos you may want to look at SmugMug.
    It fits my need perfectly. I can store full resolution files, download back ups, manage Galleries, fine tune access, and use presets or build my own CSS frame.
    It took less than 10 min to host my domain and has clear intructions and support. It was the easiest CNAME change I ever did!
    It also interfaces with Apple Photo software, Adobe, FB, iPhone/iTouch and other online photo sites.
    It is a paid service but less than MM and the value to me is well worth it.