iWeb suddenly quits when I select a specific page in my Web site

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ajbrehm, Nov 10, 2009.

1. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

I have a page "Welcome" next to other pages ("About Me"...).

Since yesterday when I open iWeb and click on the "Welcome" name to select the page (to modify or just look at it), iWeb immediatelly quits. The same happens when I follow a link to "Welcome" from another page.

I can access all other pages with no problems.

I tried deleting iWeb's preferences file, restoring an older copy of my domain.site2 file, overwriting iWeb with another copy of iWeb (same version), nothing changed.

This concerns iWeb 3.0 (build 301) on Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Darwin 10.2).

Any ideas?

2. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

Just found this

http://www.facebook.com/pages/iWeb-FAQ/237756715466

IMPORTANT!!!!!! If you run 10.6.1 DO NOT update to 10.6.2!!!!!! Me and other users are experiencing severe problems with iWeb (website getting corrupted, not being able to edit it, iWeb quitting unexpectedly) I don't know a solution for that yet. SO DO NOT UPDATE! Stay with 10.6.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish Apple would start testing their software before release!

3. kaarup macrumors member

Any way to make a roolback since i discovered this too late and need to work with Iweb every day!!!!!:(:mad:

Tried to locate the domain files to move them to a non updated mac.... the folder can't be located anymore from where it usually was. If any body knows where it's gone, plz let me know....

4. Giovannino macrumors member

To find a Domain file it's best to use a freeware application called Find File http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30073/find-file since Spotlight doesn't search everywhere. Once you downloaded and installed the application type ".sites" (without quotes) into the search field of Find File and it will list all the Domain files of all iWeb versions on your computer.

If you transfer the Domain file to a not-updated computer it simply works.

If you experience this problem please keep sending reports to Apple!

Hopefully Apple will soon release an update.

5. UKPirate macrumors newbie

I spent an hour on the phone to AppleCare about a similar issue with KeyNote.

This was what finally fixed it:

Go in to your Home folder and then into Library.
    Move the Caches folder to the Desktop
    Make a new folder on your Desktop called LaunchAgents
    Move the contents of the LaunchAgents folder in the Library into the new LaunchAgents folder on the Desktop and ensure they're gone from the Library (you can't actually move or delete the folder they're in)
    Log out and back in, then it started working
    If it does work, trash the files, otherwise put them back

6. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

Find files by typing this in Terminal.app:

find . -name "*partoffilename*" | more

Then follow through the Finder to the directory Terminal displays for the file. Note that the terminal interface is case-sensitive.

find . -name "*omain*" | more

That should give you the path to the iWeb source file.

7. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds good. I'll try that.

8. Giovannino macrumors member

Thank you UKPirate, unfortunately it didn't work for me...

9. kaarup macrumors member

Found them in Terminal: ./Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites2 BUT when i follow the path in Finder the folder IWeb don't exist ?!:(

Then again when i start IWeb the site and everything is there... It simply crashes when I try to save ;(

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You don't need to download any third party application to find it, it is really quite easy.

It sounds as if you were looking in just Library/Application Support which is a different place.

The file is located /Users/username/Library/Application Support/iWeb

11. Giovannino macrumors member

Of course you don't need to but I think for a lot of people it's easier to use FindFile than Terminal.

12. kaarup macrumors member

ahhh there is was.... Thanks a million....

13. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

You have to follow the path from where you are when you type the command (your home folder). :)

Anyway, you did it and can now use that command to find other files if need be.

(The dot in front of the path means "here". So the path is "here"\Library\and_so_on.)

14. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

Fixed (perhaps).

I seem to have fixed it.

Here's what I did.

1. Copy iWeb.app and Domain.sites2 (zip them both) to another computer (my MacBook running 10.5.8).

2. On the other computer, copy Domain.sites2 (unzip both) into Library/Application Support/iWeb.

3. Start iWeb.

4. Everything works fine here. Duplicate the page that caused the crash, rename both versions oldname1 and oldname2. Save.

5. Copy Domain.sites2 back to the original computer (zipped).

6. On the original computer, copy Domain.sites2 (unzip) into Library/Application Support/iWeb.

7. Start iWeb a few times until it doesn't crash any more when clicking on the two pages oldname1 and oldname2.

8. Choose the one that seems safer, rename it to oldname and delete the other copy of the page.

Done.

Edit: No, didn't work. Although iWeb doesn't quit without warning any more when I click on a page, all pages are now messed up. I cannot risk saving the site and updating my homepage. Thanks Apple!

15. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: Domain.sites2 seems to work with iWeb on my MacBook. I will have to update my iWeb site from there for the time being.

This is really ridiculous.

I am thinking 10.6.2 updated Webkit and iWeb uses Webkit and that's the problem. That would explain why one page crashed iWeb when viewed and why all pages look funny. We probably need an iWeb update that works with 10.6.2.

16. kaarup macrumors member

Somethings look like theres a problem with some font. I followed this and it now work

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=10556733#10556733

17. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

That workd for me too, although I had to republish all my sites.

Next time I hope Apple test their update before they release it.

(Just kidding. Of course they won't.)

18. Giovannino macrumors member

19. artbyhill macrumors newbie

Same Here - iWeb Quites

I have the same problem. Try to open and then iWeb just quits. I have all the new systems and program.

20. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I+m trying to open iWeb on my new MBP running 10.6.2 and it just keeps chrashing. I haven´t even tried to open my "old" websit as I was planning to start from scratch. What is this?
    Looks like I´ll go back to RapidWeaver

21. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I'm still on Leopard and iWeb is quitting on me. I can't figure out what's wrong.