iWeb sux. Constantly locs my iMac -- what's an alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bking1000, May 20, 2010.

1. bking1000 macrumors 65816

I've done the permissions repair and all the rest of the happy nonesense. I'm tired of wrestling with these easy-to-use, but impossible-to-get-to-work piece of nonesense.

What mac-based alternatives could be recommended for web newbies?

2. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    Sandvox :D

waaaaayy easier to learn than RapidWeaver, and less expensive too if I recall

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I got RW in the MacHeist bundle and it's not difficult to learn. It's not as easy as iWeb, but it does more. Be prepared to consider buying some plugins for it. It's not necessary, but there are some really, really good plugins that add quite a large amount of awesomeness.

4. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just downloaded it, but I can't figure it out. Do you HAVE to use their themes/templates, or can you start from scratch, like with iWeb?

Oh! Another question -- can we take the work from iWeb and move it to another tool?

My wife is learning iWeb to draft a site for a non-profit. She's got the basics (except that we can't keep the app running), and now wants to hand it off to a web hosting/development company to finish it out. Is this possible, or should we just take screen shots and hand off the assets (pictures, text), and they'll have to build from scratch?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You can get low-impact themes.. but I'd skip iWeb and use RapidWeaver. It's a much better product that can do a whole lot more.

6. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    Sandvox !!!!

try it for free b4 going with the others ;)

7. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unless I'm doing this wrong, Sandvox and RW seem to have themes. What we need is something where you can do page layout from a blank sheet, and then turn that into a web page.

I wonder if pages supports that...

<edit> just tried that. No. MS Office for Mac does support export as HTML. Maybe I'll try that...

8. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

What kinds of things can RW do that iWeb can't? It seems to me iWeb is more powerful in terms of page layout, but I'm sure there are other considerations.

9. djdavidgallant macrumors member

djdavidgallant

I use Espresso and Cyberduck, but this is only to edit code as opposed to designing a simple interface.

10. ThinkBig macrumors newbie

I agree. RW has so many vital tools that iweb does not but I'm having a lot of trouble laying out the page exactly as I'd like.