Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
I made a website on iWeb and published it using MobileMe. The URL goes something like http://web.me.com/jjoseph989/James_Josephs_ePortfolio/Welcome.html. I'd like to abbreviate the URL to a dot com domain. I know this is possible, but I can't figure it out. Any advice?

Yeah, I do exactly what you're saying.

I purchased a new domain from GoDaddy. Once that's done, you can make the new domain redirect to your long MobileMe address. That's done through the GoDaddy site.

I know it's possible to buy a domain through MobileMe, but I've never done that so I'm not much help.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can easily locate and secure a webhost once you register a domain that you choose. You then export your site with iWeb and upload it to your webhost.

Shortening the url is a different matter, iweb more or less uses a long path to create the pages.

For instance I have mydomain.com/site name/pages.

When I use rapidweaver which provides nearly the same level of ease of use, but more flexibility. I basically have mydomain.com as my base page and then from there I have a Multi-tiered hierarchical website.

My point is you're kind of tied into how iWeb works once you get beyond the domain name portion of the url.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.