iweb to webs.com - links broken

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sageorge, Oct 24, 2010.

1. sageorge macrumors newbie

I have created my first website using iweb and posted it to the free webs.com hosting site. Webs.com requires that the home page be named 'index.html'. So I changed the name of the iweb Welcome page to index.html. Not surprising, the "welcome" link on my navigation bar doesn't work.

I can't figure out how to fix this. Suggestions?
    Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

iWeb automatically creates a index.html file for you when you export the site. There was no need to rename anything. The index file they create has code to redirect to your chosen "home" page.

3. sageorge thread starter macrumors newbie

If I upload the iweb version of index.html all I get for a home page is: < content="0;url= Welcome.html" />

Renaming the welcome page to index.html fixes everything except for the navigation bar link to the welcome page.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

Thank you.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It looks like the index.html got corrupted if it is showing that. Try re-publishing the site, potentially to a folder and check the page to see if it looks right. Also, if you have a link to the site I can take a look and see if there's anything more that might be up. Fixing the navigation might be able to be done through the feed.xml file, but I'm not completely certain. The navigation is created dynamically unfortunately.