iWeb too limited vs Dreamweaver too difficult ???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by altaprod, May 21, 2008.

1. altaprod macrumors regular

altaprod

Most of the threads pointed me to Dreamweaver or iWeb.

B I'm a little stuck. I'm wanting to create a simple website for my business with approx. 15-30 pages. But iWeb, although the right learning curve, doesn't offer enough flexibility for me to design the look I want. And Dreamweaver seems like a PRO application that I don't want to learn or spend $$$.

Anyone have any ideas of a good in-between solution. I don't know coding or html so something along the lines of iWeb but more robust would be great.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Dreamweaver is a complex or as simple as you make it.

3. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

You would probably need something like Rapidweaver - see them here

You will still need a place to publish your web site. Have you looked into that yet?

Cheers

4. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

If that's true than it's just the $400.00 that seems prohibitive. I keep coming back to iWeb but I don't know how to break out of the templates without knowing coding.

I want to have a kind of "Shag" like look to my site, yet simple with rollovers. But it seems I'm at a point where I either need to learn a little web-programming or hire someone.

hmmm?

Rapidweaver looks very interesting. I'm going to check out their site. So far it seems like a very good option for me and I can save some $$. It also looks like I can purchase pre-made templates which would be good.

5. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

I think Rapidweaver is a good choice

For me it seems Rapidweaver is a good choice. It offers what I need without any learning curve. And the Add-ons seem really professional.

6. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

haven't looked into a webhost yet

any ideas on that? I predict that I will have 1000-2000 hits a month. Additionally customers (which I'll have approx. 30-50) will need to use the website for business interactions using a booking/reservation system.

I'm leaning towards this: http://bookingcalendar.com/ for the booking side. I'm not sure if anyone has any experience with this company or similar companies but I'd sure appreciate any recommendations on this or web hosts.

BTW: I think my thread is changing topics away from Mac Software. Am I supposed to change it or something?

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hire someone

Dude, hire someone who specializes in this kind of thing. Business web sites look terrible when they are cobbled together by amateur web designers.

Just because something is possible, doesn't mean you should do it.

It will be worth the money.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup. Brand Identity and your web presence can be significant assets if done properly by a pro.

9. thehuhman macrumors member

thehuhman

-
    I couldn't agree more. You wouldn't believe how many potential clients tell me, that they are just "going to build it themselves". That comment is usually what I get in response to my "price estimate" for designing a website for them. I always encourage them to go ahead and do just that. I even advise them on which software to buy, etc. The majority of them are back at my door within 3 months (with tale between their legs)... It puts me in a very good position to "save" them at that point... lol.:)