iweb + Transmit = problem with form & URL

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by LTOS, Feb 20, 2009.

1. LTOS macrumors newbie

Hi Folks. After years of having a naff website built using an 'idiot' programme [which describes me well re computers] I decided to finally use iweb and have a go. Using iweb & Transmit I have no problem getting the site up and modifying it at will. However, instead of my site's URL ending up with .com it shows as /LTOS/Home.html. LTOS is how I titled the site in iweb. That can't be right!
    Also, on my original site, within the easy 'idiot' programe I created a from which works perfectly. I swiped all the code whilst viewing it in 'page source' and using iwebs widget pasted it in for my new one. In iweb it looks perfect. Once uploaded only the first top quarter shows :confused:

Not to be outdone [bearing in mind I have not clue to what I'm doing really] I found an easy guide to making forms, made one in html, pasted it into iweb and again it looks fine but upon uploading again only the first couple of lines show. :eek: Any ideas please o how to shorten my url and how to get all my form to show as it is within iweb? Thanks very much you clever people :)

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

The "LTOS/Home.html" is normal if you're not using your own web host and not using your own domain name. LTOS is your user name for Apple and Home.html is your home page.

When you host your own domain and on your own webhost, you rename Home.html to index.html and users will only see your domainName.com in the browser.

As to form code disappearing, welcome to iWeb - which has limitations on things like this. It automatically reformats code you insert via the widget which is hit and miss depending on the code being syntaxically correct from the outset and how it interacts with other code you added earlier, i.e. a form opening or closing tag missing. If it's just this one instance, post the entire source of that page here or send us the direct URL, either one. If you plan on doing alot more of this, it's possibly time to graduate to better software such as RapidWeaver in the Mac world which is designed for customizing code, has great templates and a very well done WYSIWYG mode.

-jim

3. LTOS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Jim. What a disappointment to learn that the updates I bought for my OS before the further expense of ilife 09 would load was to little avail!

It looks like I'll have to buy Rapidweaver now [but not before I make my thoughts known to Apple]!

I will now demonstrate what a fool I am... I renamed my home page in iweb from Home to Index.html. Clearly I've got that wrong as WYSIWYG was true in that case. May I ask where I rename my home page to get the desired result? This is the only way to my site at the moment!

http://www.londontransportoriginalsigns.com/LTOS/Home.html

This is the code I'd like to be able to drop into iweb:

<!--gem:tlx.tlx.forms-->
    <form action="http://twe02.svcs.sitebuilderservice.com/svcs/formproc.jsp" method="post"><input name="tlx_returl" type="hidden" value="http://www.londontransportoriginalsigns.co.uk/index.html"><input name="tlx_p" type="hidden" value="topline"><INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="tlx_EmailTo" VALUE="farestage@yahoo.co.uk">
    <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="tlx_Subject" VALUE="visitor s comment">
    <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="tlx_SendMode" VALUE="1">
    <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="tlx_OKMessage" VALUE="Thank you for contacting me. I ll get back to you as soon as I can. It s
    not uncommon for email addresses to be incorrectly entered so if you don t hear back within 48 hours that s what s
    happened! Please try again.

">
    <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="tlx_SortOrder" VALUE="Name, Email, Country, Interested, Invoice, RecordedDelivery?, HaveyUgot?,
    comment, How?, Donate, Checkemailaddy">
    <TABLE BORDER="0" BGCOLOR="white" CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="3">
    <TR><TD><font size="-1" face="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana" color="black">Name</font></TD><TD><INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="Name"
    SIZE="30" MAX="100"></TD></TR>

<TR><TD><font size="-1" face="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana" color="black">Email address</font></TD><TD><INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="Email"
    <TR><TD><font size="-1" face="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana" color="black">Country</font></TD><TD><INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="Country"
    <TR><TD VALIGN="TOP"><font size="-1" face="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana" color="black">I m interested in the following signs
    from your site, are they available?</font></TD><TD><TEXTAREA WRAP="soft" NAME="Interested" COLS="50" ROWS="3"></TEXTAREA></TD></TR>
    <TR><TD><font size="-1" face="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana" color="black">I d like to buy the signs I ve listed. Please
    send me a Paypal invoice for them. </font></TD><TD><INPUT TYPE="CHECKBOX" NAME="Invoice"></TD></TR>
    <TR><TD><font size="-1" face="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana" color="black">I prefer Recorded Delivery please add £0.75 for
    UK or £3.50 for outside of the UK</font></TD><TD><INPUT TYPE="CHECKBOX" NAME="RecordedDelivery?"></TD></TR>

<TR><TD><font size="-1" face="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana" color="black">Do you have a sign showing these destinations?</font></TD><TD><INPUT
    TYPE="TEXT" NAME="HaveyUgot?" SIZE="60" MAX="200"></TD></TR>
    <TR><TD VALIGN="TOP"><font size="-1" face="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana" color="black">Any Comments</font></TD><TD><TEXTAREA
    WRAP="soft" NAME="comment" COLS="50" ROWS="2"></TEXTAREA></TD></TR>
    <TR><TD><font size="-1" face="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana" color="black">How did you hear about my site?</font></TD><TD><INPUT
    TYPE="TEXT" NAME="How?" SIZE="30" MAX="100"></TD></TR>
    <TR><TD><font size="-1" face="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana" color="black">I d like to help save the Routemaster please send
    me a Paypal invoice [or add to my invoice] £</font></TD><TD><INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="Donate" SIZE="30" MAX="100"></TD></TR>
    <TR><TD><font size="-1" face="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana" color="black">Please check your email address is correct!</font></TD><TD><INPUT
    TYPE="TEXT" NAME="Checkemailaddy" SIZE="30" MAX="100"></TD></TR>

<TR><TD COLSPAN="2" ALIGN="right"><INPUT TYPE="RESET" VALUE="Clear">  <INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="Submit"></TD></TR></TABLE>
    </form>
    <!--end gem--><!--"''"-->

Your kind assistance is greatly appreciated Jim. Many thanks. Haydn

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Sorry, I don't use iWeb so I can only guess what's wrong. Try removing the first and last comment lines, make sure all that blank space isn't there after "Please try again" and re-paste into the widget and save, and upload again. I don't expect the fact it's a form to be causing the trouble because others here have reported adding simple forms with success. So it might be the odd formatting as I see in your post above.

Rapidweaver allows you to customize forms galore, so alot less stress in the future. I'm not saying you NEED to switch, I am only advising so if you will be doing alot more of stuff like this, meaning it's time to advance to the next level. iWeb has its audience, but it's by no means a full development platform, that's all.

-jim