iWeb Update Error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ShaunC, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ShaunC macrumors member

hi there

having been on holiday for a few weeks i come back to find theres been some updates released for ilife.. all good exept when i try to install the iWeb update it gives me this message;

The Update 'iWeb Update' Cannot Be Installed

A networking error has occurred: Cannot open file (-3001). Make sure you can connect to the Internet, then try again.

any ideas guys? it just closes itself after that.

2. ShaunC thread starter macrumors member

3. nonline08 macrumors newbie

iWeb Update Error

Hi dude sorry I can't help you but i'm getting the same error message, not to do with ilife but just trying up update osx on macbook pro. I thought it was to do with little snitch so uninstalled it but still no result!
    Any1 help??

my error message

"A networking error has occurred: Cannot open file (-3001). Make sure you can connect to the Internet, then try again."

internet is working fine, hence da post

Cheers

4. nonline08 macrumors newbie

Think i've it sused

Don't know y it does it but if you click 'apple' 'software update' and run until error message appears, take note of updates it can't install then go to http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ download the updates here, install & restart, error message away. My macbook pro now is up to-date so I don't know if error message will reappear until next available update, but should be sorted!

Let us know

5. ack7121 macrumors newbie

Workaround for Software Update problem ("Cannot open file (-3001)

I recently upgraded my MacBook from Tiger to Leopard and immediately encountered the problem that Software Update refused to download and install the upgrades it detected, giving the error message:
    "A networking error has occurred: Cannot open file (-3001). Make sure you can connect to the Internet, then try again"
    even though I was of course already connected, and indeed would not have been able to get to the stage of attempting to download the upgrades had I not been.
    Although I could in most though not all cases download and install each of the upgrades individually, this was pretty tedious, so I started to look for ways round the problem.
    I have another user account on my system, and I found, more or less by chance, that if I gave that account admin privileges, then logged in as that user, Software Update worked perfectly, just as it used to do before from the main account.
    It's very curious: maybe the problem is to do with file permissions? Certainly it seems to have nothing whatever to do with the particular upgrades that need to be installed: it either works for them all, or none.

6. nonline08 macrumors newbie

Thanks

Good thinking! yea def would be a tedious process, although i only needed 2 updates & maybe same quickness to creating a new account, & I'm updating fine now. But yea for needing everything updated thats a great way around it

Cheers!