iWeb upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by niallstarling, Apr 22, 2011.

1. niallstarling macrumors member

As I was kind of hoping the future of iWeb would have been sorted by now, I have already bought through the App Store the iLife 11 updates for iPhoto and iMovie. I now need to upgrade iWeb (need the individual site publish feature) but am obviously not so keen to buy the whole iLife package just to do so (and don't need Garageband).

I have another iMac that the parents-in-law use which has the latest iWeb (which they will never use). Does anyone know if it is a simple process of copying the iWeb package off that machine onto my primary machine? Are there any other folders necessary?

I don't believe its a license issue (I hope) as I hold the license to use, just transferring from one machine to another (not both).

Any comments appreciated...

Niall

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The license for software supplied with a new machine is for that machine only and not transferable.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

4. niallstarling thread starter macrumors member

Yes but only from iLife '09, and I need to publish to two different web addresses, which it can't do...

5. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I'm assuming the OP owns a 2010 or later Mac, because he wants to update a few iLife apps to the 2011 version. Thus, he probably already has iWeb (in fact, he says he just wants to update it, so he must already have iWeb).

I'd just install it from your parents' CD, if you get an error that'll be an answer as to whether or not it's possible.

6. niallstarling thread starter macrumors member

I've got an old 2006 iMac running iLife '09, and the other is a late 2010 with iLife '11. So the idea was to transfer iWeb 3 to the older machine. But not so keen if the license doesn't allow it.

I thought the App Store would have solved this for me. Wonder whats happening to iWeb...!

Thanks for the replies

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It will if you buy from the App Store. App Store license terms only apply to software purchased from the App Store. They cannot be retrospectively applied to other software including software delivered with a new Mac.

8. niallstarling thread starter macrumors member

True, but that the App Store doesn't help if you can't by iWeb there...

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...uhhh...iWeb was not updated in iLife 11, so if you have iLife 09 you've got the latest version already. I use iLife 09 and my iWeb is v3.03....oh yeah!

10. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

^^ Pretty much this. iWeb version 3.03 is the most current version. Also, I find it to be one of the most user friendly apps out of the iLife suite.