iWeb upload to my website, need help?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by christian.schus, Dec 29, 2008.

1. christian.schus macrumors newbie

I want my Godaddy.com website -that I own- to have the iWeb project i have created on it. I have an iWeb project and I have saved it to a folder on my desktop, since I dont have a mobileme account, and i have tried to upload it to my godaddy.com but i dont know how, please help.

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

What exactly have you done? I uploaded mine to a university server without too many problems. Here is what I did.

In iWeb:
    File -> publish to folder
    Make a new folder and place it on your desktop. I named mine public_html.
    Give it a minute while it complies the HTML and stuff.

In whatever SSH or program you are using. (I use cyberduck.)
    Upload the two files in the folder you created, but not the folder itself.

Should work now.

3. christian.schus thread starter macrumors newbie

i have downloaded cyberduck, but i am not sure how to use that. i am really new to the whole internet/website thing.

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Did you buy a domain name and HOSTING from godaddy? Or just the domain name? Make sure becuase you need both

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

6. chromedoggy macrumors newbie

putting iweb files on my own domain

Did you ever figure this out? I have my very own computer for the 1st time ever, (ibook G4) so I am a complete idiot about this. I actually made my website using iweb, and I have an outdated website that i want to replace with the one I made recently. I am reading these posts and i still can't figure it out. I don't know how to put the folder on the desktop? how do I move it? It doesn't show up as a cute little folder icon to point and click. Another thread said go into admin, then go into system preferences and find iweb and change the domain. I tried this, but it hasn't been fruitful, for one thing, all my iweb stuff that I did is on the other user part, so I can't access it from admin. I guess this is why pros get paid to do this, eh?
    Thanks!

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What version of iWeb do you have? The option to "Publish to Folder" didn't come till version 2.

8. cazlar macrumors 6502

The current iWeb lets you publish to a folder and then you upload the resulting files to your host. They should have the info on what server etc to send it to. As mentioned, Cyberduck is good and handles FTP, SFTP and other protocols. Just go "new connection", add the server details/password/etc, and you should see what is on the server in the list. Drag the files you made from iWeb to the window, they upload, you test the site, etc.

The new iWeb in iLife '09 seems to have FTP upload to a (non-mobileme) site built in, hopefully simplifying the whole process (or at least making it one-click when set up hopefully).

9. purpowdr macrumors newbie

CAZLAR, so are you saying that with the new iWeb 09 you can upload your project directly to a non-mobile me website, without any third-party programs like cyberduck?

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iweb/#manage