iweb uploading - am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by shiftyjj24, Mar 16, 2009.

1. shiftyjj24 macrumors newbie

I have server space and a domain name...for the sake of this theard we'll call it "www.mysite.com". I've built a site on iweb and everytime I publish it and type in the address the ulr appears as: "www.mysite.com/mysite/mainpage.html" .

How do I get the main page to show up normally? I want the first page I've designed in iweb to appear at www.mysite.com. I can upload with filezilla but it appears to look basically the same.

Help me!?!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Momofthree macrumors member

mine does the same.....except my opening page/first page is Welcome...

so it shows mysite.com/mysite/welcome.html

I don't think there is really any other way to get it just to be mysite.com as iweb uploads all the files and they are all in the folder (of whatever you named your site) it does up load an index. html which I believe i read somewhere is a redirector to the 'new' main page.

4. CyrusOz macrumors regular

what if you tried changing the page name in inspector? Maybe just remove the name altogether from the 'page name' field it may not add to the url like it has been... just a thought.

I've just tried playing with Iweb just for the sake of playing around and I was wondering do you have to register for mobileme or can you upload your site to the server another way? Sorry i don't mean to hijack the thread I just thought I'd ask as that seems like a pain in the ass.....

5. Momofthree macrumors member

I uploaded my site to my own domain via the built in FTP ..... (not on MoblieMe)

I also have Cyberduck and can upload it that way also after publishing the site to a folder

when you create a site in Iweb it has site name then underneath that all of your pages.... so when you publish (either way) you have to name your folder (other wise it will just say New Site)

that is just the way it is set up....kind of pain, but it does work. For me right now, having the site done in Iweb works great cause it is a no brainer. I have been doing my own site for over two years and I am enjoying letting the program make all my links for me :) etc.

I will eventually upgrade to one of the other programs, probably Freeway but for now, iweb it is.!!!