iWeb Uploading

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ph_555_shag, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ph_555_shag macrumors regular

HI everyone, i'm running a website for a community organization and i have used iWeb to create the website, and am uploading it using Fetch, after publishing to folder. Unfortunately the URL is coming up as a 404 error.

I had the website working perfectly, did a major redesign so deleted everything and re-uploaded the new site, and that is when the problems began. the website is www.metmusicals.com.au and i now have no idea what else to do.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Daniel

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What's the file name of your home page? Web servers need it to be a certain name, e.g., index.html, home.html, etc.

3. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

iWeb names it index.html. Is there an index.html in the top (www) directory?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I tried typing in the index.html manually at the site, but still got the 404 error so the problem lies elsewhere. I think someone posted a similar problem a month or so ago. You may want to search through the forum a bit to see if you can turn anything up.

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Yes, it was kind of a rhetorical (or stupid, maybe) question. What I should have asked is whether there was an 'index.html' somewhere else in the directory. :)

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Umm, could be, but when you go to FTP you should be able to see a listing of files that are already there so you'll be able to spot one if there is one. I only tried the root directory for the index page, but there could be one deeper in the directory, but that shouldn't keep your page from showing. You ay want to check with your hosting company as to what may be the issue. Perhaps there's a permission issue going on or something.