Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ph_555_shag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2003
Adelaide Australia
HI everyone, i'm running a website for a community organization and i have used iWeb to create the website, and am uploading it using Fetch, after publishing to folder. Unfortunately the URL is coming up as a 404 error.

I had the website working perfectly, did a major redesign so deleted everything and re-uploaded the new site, and that is when the problems began. the website is http://www.metmusicals.com.au and i now have no idea what else to do.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Daniel

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
What's the file name of your home page? Web servers need it to be a certain name, e.g., index.html, home.html, etc.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
iWeb names it index.html. Is there an index.html in the top (www) directory?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
iWeb names it index.html. Is there an index.html in the top (www) directory?

I tried typing in the index.html manually at the site, but still got the 404 error so the problem lies elsewhere. I think someone posted a similar problem a month or so ago. You may want to search through the forum a bit to see if you can turn anything up.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Yes, it was kind of a rhetorical (or stupid, maybe) question. What I should have asked is whether there was an 'index.html' somewhere else in the directory. :)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Yes, it was kind of a rhetorical (or stupid, maybe) question. What I should have asked is whether there was an 'index.html' somewhere else in the directory. :)

Umm, could be, but when you go to FTP you should be able to see a listing of files that are already there so you'll be able to spot one if there is one. I only tried the root directory for the index page, but there could be one deeper in the directory, but that shouldn't keep your page from showing. You ay want to check with your hosting company as to what may be the issue. Perhaps there's a permission issue going on or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.